web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

A Cold Purse

I had some trouble finding my purse at work. It was where I had put it, in the refridgerator.

I also gave myself an IV bag shower. I change the tubing on bags all the time without thinking about it. This time I should have given it some more thought. I forgot to turn the bag upside down before removing the tubing, so the fluid came pouring out the hole when the tubing was removed. Of course the patient and her entire family were watching me do this.

At least I took care of all of my patients. One nurse didn't get her assignment right and her patient went without a nurse for half of the shift.

It turns out that I didn't have a hangover or food poisoning, I'm just sick. Most of the people at work are now sick and are doing a nice job of sharing their germs. Management has cracked down so hard on calling in sick that people would rather come to work sick then stay home and later be called into the office.

This illness seems to affect people's IQ, so I'm wondering what other stupid things I and my coworkers will do tonight. Poor patients.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 9/28/2006 02:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What was in in iv bag? Hopefully not something nasty that can be absorbed thru the skin. On the other hand, perhaps it could help your illness. How sad that they don't want you to stay home when you are sick. Seems like they would realize that people who are in the hospital have a low resistance and could catch whatever the nurses have.

 
At 9/28/2006 03:57:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Cool, now i can use "I'm sick" as an excuse for my poor IQ!

 
At 9/28/2006 05:47:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

We're encouraged to stay home and not spread crud around.

 
At 9/28/2006 06:15:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Are you sure you didn't just eat some bad spinach?

If you get too sick at work, maybe one of the patients can take care of you. :)

 
At 9/28/2006 11:14:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

We aren't allowed to go to work if we are sick, if we do we are sent home. Your stupid management....

Hope you feel better soon.

 
At 9/30/2006 12:11:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Connie, it was just salt and sugar water. The bean counters only care about money.

Alan, I can't imagine that ever happening here.

Gary, there were tiny green leaves in the salad. It could have been spinach.

Madwag, I agree with your opinion of my management.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home