web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Hair Neurosis

At the beginning of the shift, I walked into the patient's room to meet her for the first time. Looking at me with shock and disgust, she said, "What did you do to your hair?"

The patient was confused, so I just smiled. The patient's daughter looked embarrassed and said that she probably thought that I was her other daughter because we're both blondes.

The more I thought about this, the more insecure I became. Is my hair so awful looking that she would be mad at her daughter if her hair looked like mine? I did get it cut recently and no one has said a word about it, not even my mom. I'm not sure if it's because no one noticed or if it's because it looks so bad that no one wants to say anything.

My brooding neroticism getting the best of me, I couldn't wait for the other daughter to show up. I just had to see her hair to try and figure out what was wrong with mine. Later, when she walked in, I knew who she was immediately by her hair.

My hair is slightly lighter and hers is a little longer, but basically we have identical hairstyles. So, what is wrong with mine? I couldn't let it go. I went from coworker to coworker and told them the story and asked them to compare our hair. They must think I'm insane, and maybe just to appease me, they all said that we have basically the same hair.

I'm still not satisfied. I wish that the patient wasn't confused so that I could ask her what is wrong with my hair. Maybe tomorrow I'll pull it back in a bun. Or maybe I just need to comb it more than once a day. Or maybe it's time to adjust my medication.


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 9/26/2006 06:28:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

If I were you I wouldn't change a thing. Your beautiful long blond hair and your natural thinness help keep you looking young. Enjoy it.

 
At 9/26/2006 07:19:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Ok lets think for a minute here. Consider where the hell you're working, if it were in a hairdressers.....fashion house.....modelling agency, maybe just maybe you could take on board what someone is saying....but hey, that's just like me taking insult to clients calling me a theif or criminal LOL.

 
At 9/27/2006 01:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom is used to how Daughter2 looks. Daughter1 is with her; she is expecting Daughter2. You walk in --- Ah, Daughter2 has arrived to see me at last. But there's something different about her. She's lost some weight; that's good. But I don't like her hair - it's lighter! She bleached it! Doesn't she remember that I told her before that I don't like that? And I think that it is shorter, too; I remember when it was so long when she was little. "What did you do to your hair?"

 
At 9/27/2006 12:55:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gary, thanks, but you haven't seen a recent picture of my hair.

Michelle, good point, I do need to consider the source.

Paul, that is a good analytical way of looking at the situation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home