web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Satan's Sisters

The patient wasn't bad, it was her daughters who were evil. If our care was half as bad as they said it was, they could have just hired a lawyer, sued us and been done with it. That wasn't really an option, so they they just harassed us and tried to make our lives miserable instead.

This is just a typical example. One daughter came to visit her mother and found her asleep with the lights out in her room. *gasp* How dare we turn the lights out so that she could sleep. She might wake up later and be confused in the dark. She came storming out of the room and yelled out the dreaded words, "WHO is my mother's nurse?" That night it was someone else's turn to be reamed.

When she was done chewing out the nurse, she went after the supervisor. Later she went home and fired off e-mails and letters. One was sent to the President. I don't mean the president of my company, I mean the President of the country. Condaleeza got one as well.

All she had to say was leave the lights on 24 hours a day in her mother's room and we would have done so. We do comply with people's bizarre requests whenever possible, we just need to be told what they are.

Every day, it's something like this. If I owned my company, I would tell them to start looking for a different health care/insurance plan. I don't own the company, so like everyone else, I just have to endure the abuse.

This is one of the few times that I miss being a lawyer in private practice. On the rare occasions when I came across people like this, I just told them to get out of my office and find a new lawyer. I didn't have to put up with crap like this.

I have one last example of these people's lunacy. One of the sisters couldn't find the mother's sandals. In her obnoxiously loud voice, she started yelling about these "very expensive" sandals we lost and that we had better find them or else. The sandals were in the patient's closet, where they belonged so another crisis was averted.

I was curious about these "very expensive" sandals. As soon as the daughter left, I peeked in the bag at the sandals. I recently saw an episode of Sex In The City in which a pair of $485 sandals were lost. I was expecting to see something like that in the bag. Instead, I saw these dirty rubber flip-flops. I rest my case.


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 10/02/2006 05:19:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

When people act obnoxious like those sisters, I always wish I could get inside their heads and observe their thought processes from the inside out. I think it would be fascinating.

By the way, That Magic Mountain excursion sounds like fun, even if you didn't get to meet Bugs Bunny.

 
At 10/02/2006 01:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

in my head, i keep saying "this too will pass, this too will pass" when i encounter patients or families like this.

it's hard! (oh, that's definitely an understatement)

 
At 10/02/2006 01:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard that there are people who make their living by finding excuses to sue people. Perhaps that is the case here. GRRR.

 
At 10/02/2006 05:10:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Sounds like there are lots of Looney Toons outside of Magic Mountain.

 
At 10/02/2006 07:39:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Hey! You wrapped text around an image! Good job! :)

 
At 10/02/2006 11:16:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

People like that make me shudder... nice sandals... ugh

 
At 10/03/2006 12:49:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gary, I figure they are so miserable that they want everyone else to be miserable as well, so that they can feel better by comparison.

May, I tell myself that all of the time, also. The trouble is that as soon as we get rid of one trouble-maker, someone new takes their place.

Connie, that's crossed my mind too.
I'm fairly sure that they are trying to set us up.

Alan, that's for sure. Maybe I should get my photo taken with them too.

Dave, thanks, but I can't take the credit. Blogger gives that as an option when creating a post. Even I can choose where I want the photo placed on the page.

Madwag, I keep wondering, if they think those are expensive sandals, what would they think cheap sandals are? Is it even possible to buy cheaper sandals then those?

 
At 10/03/2006 10:04:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

I don't think so.... that is pretty cheap... like a dollar or something??? Sounds like the daughter needs to be medicated to me... what a weirdo. Never mind, it will pass soon... on to another weirdo to give you grief... lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home