web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Magic Mountain Day


I premedicated myself with three Advil, but it wasn't enough. Getting old so sucks, but there was no way that pain was going to interfere with the mission. It was time for the annual Magic Mountain trip with Scott. Hopefully, it won't be the last one. Magic Mountain's future is still uncertain. But as long as there is a Magic Mountain, Scott and I are going to drag our sore, battered bodies on the rides, even if we someday have to bring our bring our walkers, canes or wheelchairs.

The day started out fine. We were just arriving when I got my picture taken with this bizarre little creature. Does anyone know what that is? I could have gotten my picture taken with Bugs Bunny, but he had a line. It was faster to get my photo with this strange character, plus I felt a little sorry for him/her.



This is Tatsu above. It's the newest ride. It involves lying on your stomach while suspended from a track and flying head first down nearly vertical track. Of course, it has the usual loops and turns. I got nervous for nothing. It wasn't as bad as it looked.

There is a reason why we were among the few elderly people at the park. (By Magic Mountain standards, we're elderly.) These rides are killers.

The G forces on one ride caused me to black out. I didn't lose consciousness, I just couldn't see beyond the darkness.

My privates are bruised from a stand up roller coaster. The harness locked in the wrong position and I had to ride while standing on my toes. If the G forces knocked me off my toes, I got it in the crotch.

My ears hurt from being tossed against the head harnesses.

I had a mild headache all day which didn't bother me until I got on the rides. Then, the blood rushing to my head hurt so badly that I needed to scream. Thank goodness it was socially acceptable, encouraged even.

I heard Scott's neck snap on one ride, followed by an owwww.... How's your neck today, Scott? Scott also needs to replace his cell phone. It flew away during some negative G's.

The ironic thing is that I really prefer the older tamer rides, like Ninja, but insist on riding the newest, most challenging rides instead. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe it's not wanting to admit defeat with the aging thing or maybe it's not wanting to miss out on rides that we may never get to ride again. Maybe I want to face the fear and win. At least I didn't suffer the ultimate humiliation and ever take the chicken exit out.

Nausea was somewhat of a problem, but other people had it worse. On one ride, everyone was ordered off the cars. It was then sent through the ride twice while empty. We couldn't imagine what was going on. Next some kid donned gloves and wiped down one of the seats, while his coworkers watched and cringed. It was then sent through the ride again, presumable to dry. I'm guessing it was vomit, but it could have been pee.

On another ride while we were strapped in and waiting to go, some kid with a screw driver started tightening screws near my seat. That didn't exactly fill me with confidence, but they said that my seat has only flown off twice in the past, so that made me feel so much better.

Why do I do this? Oh yeah, now I remember. It's fun.


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 9/30/2006 03:19:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

I believe that's Marvin the Martian who appeared in many Bugs Bunny cartoons.

The Tatsu sounds like fun. Will definitely try it if I ever get down that way again.

I enjoyed the stand up coaster (Riddler?), especially having the front row. Guess I was strapped in OK, since nothing important hurt afterwards.

The Viper is still one of the great old rides.

 
At 9/30/2006 08:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe Marvin wanted to blow up the world (from the moon) with his "Space Modulator." Buggs, of course, stopped him.

 
At 10/01/2006 01:51:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

OMG, i am sooo jealous! You got a photo taken with Marvin!
Looks as though you guys had a brilliant day :o)

 
At 10/01/2006 06:59:00 AM, Blogger Irene said...

I can't believe you did not know that was Marvin the Martian. He appeared in a number of Loony Tunes with Bugs and Daffy, the most famous one being Duck Dodgers in the 24th and 1/2 Century. Here is a link to find out more about him http://www.gargaro.com/marvin.html
Yes ... I am 58 years old and a geek :)

 
At 10/01/2006 11:19:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, the first time through, the stand up rollcoaster was fine. The second time, I did something just as the restraints were locked and ended up on my toes.They should count to three before locking the restraints.

Connie, Michelle and Irene, I've never heard of Marvin. I must have missed those episodes. I was thinking that he might be the Tasmanian Devil.

 
At 10/01/2006 07:07:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

This admission has made it much harder for you to sue Magic Mountain for your injuries and future well-being. I'm surprised at you!!! ;)

 
At 10/01/2006 07:38:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lisa, Magic Mountain has them beat. Tatsu has 3.5 minutes of "flight time". As far as speed, Superman goes from 0 to 100 mph in 7 seconds. It also goes straight up 415 feet of vertical track and falls backward in 6.5 seconds of freefall. I don't know cartoon characters, but I know coasters. :)

Are you sure you wouldn't want to do this? It's safer than driving on the freeway.

Dave, what was I thinking?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home