web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

An Incident On The Freeway

It looks like I wasn't so crazy and extravagant after all, in my decision to have two cars. Now I have a car to drive until I can get my Z repaired.

The accident wasn't my fault. Something big and dark was lying across my lane. It was a dark stretch of freeway, so I couldn't see it until I was a second or two away. Traveling at around 75, I didn't dare yank the wheel to avoid it. There are worse things than hitting objects in your lane, spinning out of control or side-swiping another car are examples.

I still don't know what it was, but it made a very loud thud and jerked my car hard. My car is now dragging the plastic cover that protects the underside of the car and there is a dent and quite a bit of scraping on the front bumper.

It's annoying, but I feel like I was lucky. Nothing truly terrible happened and I have the luxury of time in getting around to doing something about it. It's great to have a spare car.


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 10/13/2006 05:06:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

On the radio traffic reports here in Houston, they often announce things that are on the highway and are slowing up traffic. The list of thing I have heard mentioned is amazing. Driving the freeways reall is a crapshoot.

Glad you are Ok. It is easier to replace an auto part than a body part. Take care.

 
At 10/13/2006 12:22:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Glad to hear you're OK. We were worried when you hadn't blogged for almost two days. :)

There has been a lot of news in the Seattle area lately regarding debris on the freeways. The state troopers are really cracking down on folks with unsecured loads. One woman was blinded after a plywood sheet came through her windshield. There have been other cases as well.

75 MPH? You must have been in the slow lane.

 
At 10/13/2006 05:38:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gary, the traffic reports describe all kinds of bizarre spills here too. Too bad that I don't listen to it.

Alan, driving at 75, I was in the slow lane. How did you know?

I haven't been blogging as much lately because I've been sick. That's one of the hazards of working around so many sick people.

I'm not sure if what I hit was an unsecured load or just a body that someone dumped. Around L.A. you can never be sure.

 
At 10/13/2006 08:23:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

I've lived in the Bay area (not that there's anything wrong with that), and have visited LA many times. I generally found the slow lane was running about 75. I once did Anahiem to San Francisco in six hours flat, including gas and potty stops.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home