web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Poopy Tray And Say When

I saw a coworker come out of a room carrying a food tray cover filled with poop-soiled washcloths. She dumped the washcloths in a clothes hamper and put the poopy food cover in the fridge. It was in the dirty food fridge, but still. I'm not sure that dietary is equipped to handle poop. But then, we do often send food trays back to the kitchen with vomit on them, so maybe this isn't that different. I don't know, what do you think?




The patient didn't seem nuts, but he was sure acting nuts. He had donated blood before surgery and now that he needed the blood, he was refusing it. He would not tell us what his concerns were. The next day he was even weaker and kept passing out every time he tried to stand up. Finally, he agreed to take some of his blood, but with a catch. He got to decide how much he would get. If he got part of one unit and decided that was enough, we had to agree to stop it immediately.

I just can't figure out what his problem was. If he had religious objections, he would not have agreed to any blood. If he didn't trust us to give him the right blood, again, he would not have agreed to any part of it.

As it turned out, a whole unit got into him without his objecting that he had had his fill of blood. It was almost like we were pouring him a drink and asking him to say when. People can be so hard to figure out sometimes.


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 10/16/2006 02:38:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

I'm not in the medical field, but I'm of the opinion that poop is ickier than vomit. How close is the dirty food section to the food preparation section? Hopefully the two functions are well separated. Do they use standard dishwashers or an intense cleansing/sterilizing process.

 
At 10/16/2006 02:39:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Again. I'm not in the medical field, but I think he's nnuts.

 
At 10/16/2006 02:40:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Sorry for the stutter in the previous comment.

 
At 10/16/2006 08:09:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Poopy tray in the kitchen, way different. Hydrochloric acid the stomach can kills most bacteria. Think Hep A and E Coli. Bad. I hope you can suppress and future urges urges to eat food prepared in the hospital kitchen.

 
At 10/16/2006 10:58:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

yep...the guy is nuts

poop and food don't mix... I am having my hubby bring me my food when I am in hospital

 
At 10/17/2006 05:27:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Did you ever find out what his objections were? It would be fascinating to know. By the way, if he is nuts, he definately doesn't think he is a vampire. :)

 
At 10/17/2006 07:55:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, I've never seen the kitchen and have no idea what goes on down there. Considering the pathogens we send there, they should put everything in an autoclave, but I doubt that they do.

Sarah, I'm wondering if the food is even safe enough for my dogs.

Madwag, that is an idea that I highly recommend.

Gary, his thoughts will remain a mystery.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home