web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Scared Of Shots

I stole something from work last night. It was from France, came in a tiny vial and is worth its weight in gold. They offered it to me for free earlier in the evening, but I refused. I prefer to steal it.

It was flu vaccine and no one can give a shot as good as I can. I give myself my own shots, thank you very much. I watched the technique of the nurse who came to my floor with her wicker basket full of supplies. She slowly pushed the needle into the skin and I could see the resistance of the needle as it penetrated the skin and then again as it hit muscle. No way was anyone going to do that to me.

Later, I sneaked into the bathroom with my vial and used a tiny insulin needle to withdraw my dose. It's supposed to be given in the muscle, but studies have shown it works just fine when delivered just under the skin using a smaller amount of vaccine. I pinched a tiny bit of skin on my tummy and rapidly jammed the needle in like a dart. I didn't feel a thing. The vaccine stung as it was pushed in, but it was over with in a second. I put the rest of the vaccine back in the fridge. No one will miss the tiny bit removed.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 10/17/2006 12:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate shots, too. I got my flu shot a couple of weeks ago, and my arm hurt for days. At least they don't use live vaccine any more.

 
At 10/17/2006 07:28:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

What a coincidence, I had a similar experience today. Mine did not even sting... but I have always been told I give good...injections :) I guess you just have to really love your work :O

 
At 10/17/2006 10:44:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

I wish you could give me a flu shot... I hate shots and getting an IV... however... here they give you a tiny shot of numbing stuff before they give you the IV stab... I was so happy. I told them that I only had that once back in America because the stupid nurse kept missing the vein and I started to cry, they told me that they normally numb you first here so not to stress or hurt the patients.... hmmmmm

 
At 10/18/2006 11:04:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

*laughing*
Oh, Melissa. :-)

 
At 10/19/2006 07:54:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Our employer had us shot last week. Didn't feel a thing during or afterward.

 
At 10/20/2006 12:59:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Connie, there is a live vaccine for snorting instead of shots. I'm a little afraid of it, but it doesn't matter. I'm too old for it, you have to be under 50 to get it.

Sarah, you stuck yourself rather than let someone else do that to you? Atta girl!

Madwag, we're not allowed to numb the skin before starting IVs. I much prefer to save the patient some pain, but I guess they're concerned that we might do something stupid like inject lydocaine in a vein. How dumb do they think we are? No, don't answer that.

Karen, thanks.

Alan, you're made of tougher stuff than I am.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home