web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Tonight's Treasures

I've never come across a patient who I wanted to date, but you never know, it could happen. As part of my nursing assessment, I always assess whether any of my patients are potential boyfriend material. It's rare that I get a male patient around my age and even rarer when such a man is single. If he is single, he's invariably covered with tattoos, has a braid down his back and lives in a trailer out in the desert with his mother who supports him. Not exactly my type.

So tonight it was with great pleasure that I discovered my nice clean-cut, well mannered patient was single. Of course, as with all of my patients, I read his medical history and saw the deal breakers. He's a heavy smoker, recovering from heroin addiction, has a psyche history and has been unemployed for several years. Dang. It's always something.

Later, I needed to get his blood pressure and had to lean over the young, pretty blonde in his bed. Too bad that she didn't have the benefit of a chart to screen him before becoming involved with him. But then again, perhaps she doesn't care. He is good looking and polite. For some women that is enough.

Oh, I was introduced to one other gentleman tonight by his mother who was my patient. He had possibilities and then I saw in her chart that he was under investigation for elder abuse and is an alcoholic. Are there any normal men out there who aren't already taken?

I'm sure glad that men are luxury items and not necessities. I'd be in big trouble otherwise.


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 10/24/2006 12:04:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

That is a pretty good system that you have there.

By the way, I think that you have a good point. Men have always been the less mature of the two sexes. But in olden days we were pretty good at bringing home meat for the fire. These days that isn't quite as important as it used to be. I'm not quite sure that we're redundant yet, though. At least I hope not. :)

 
At 10/24/2006 03:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, on the bright side, having access to his medical history gets all the secrets out the way, all in one go. I can't see it catching on in dating circles as a way of breaking the ice, but you never know.
...
I suspect all the good-looking caring eligible guys are in the same place as all the good-looking caring eligible women. They're all having fun, wherever it is. But....I'm not jealous. Nope. Not me.
(Gnnnn.)

 
At 10/24/2006 08:43:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gary, men are certainly useful and I would like to have my very own man someday, but I'm glad that I don't need a man. There's a lot to be said for not being desperate and needy. I can take care of myself, thank goodness.

Mikeachim, it saves time to have people's medical histories in front of you before deciding whether to date them, but I wouldn't want to turn over my history. I think that's fair, don't you?

I suspect that rather than having tons of fun, that many quality men and women are hiding inside their homes, making it hard to find them.

 
At 10/25/2006 01:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gotta think that if a beautiful, savvy girl such as yourself can't find a decent man, they must all be gone - or they just don't like girls.

 
At 10/25/2006 06:09:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Wow... I don't think that's fair. I mean, you have an edge a lot of women would love to have.

I think you can make it more fair by taping signs on their backs as they are discharged, telling in big bold letters what, exactly, their issues are. :)

I mean, if they're on heroin anyway, how will they notice the sign?

 
At 10/26/2006 12:33:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Connie, but I suspect they are like me and are hiding, probably for good reason.

Lisa, maybe we could require men to tattoo their medical histories on their backs. That would be such a time saver.

 
At 10/26/2006 09:12:00 AM, Blogger Rob said...

i think it works the other way, too (ie, a good woman is hard to find), but not as much.

i'd much rather be a middle-aged man looking than a middle-aged woman looking, for several reasons:

- as a man, stats say you're likely to be more financially independent

- looks are often more important to men than to women, so if you're not good-looking, better to be a man

- as a man, there's less social judgment involved in test driving several before choosing the one you want

 
At 10/26/2006 08:40:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

"I'm sure glad that men are luxury items and not necessities."

Hey! I resemble that remark.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home