web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, October 30, 2006

Hitting A Wall And Bad Breath

The young woman was driving home late at night and crashed into the freeway wall. Her seatbelt and airbag protected her from major injuries, but she does have some interesting bruises going across her chest. Sorry, no photos, guys.

Curious, I asked her how the accident happened and she gave some vague explanation about being on some unfamiliar freeway and being lost. It didn't explain how she hit the wall, but, whatever. It didn't really matter.

I asked the usual questions about alcohol use and she said that she last had a drink 6 months ago. I didn't it much thought until later when I was reading the ER report and it mentioned that her breath smelled of alcohol. A quick check of her labs showed an alcohol level of 0.6. The legal intoxication level is 0.8, which would be fine for her except that the labs were drawn five hours after the accident. It wouldn't be tough to prove that she was intoxicated at the time of the accident. I think that she's going to need to hire an attorney.

I'm a little surprised that she would claim to have not had a drink in 6 months. Someone should tell her that the proper response when questioned is, "But officer, I only had two beers."




The patient had breath that smelled like a combination of urine and old, vaginal secretions. We hadn't fed her yet, so I can't blame it on the food. I'm also pretty sure that she hadn't done anything naughty; that was just her natural breath odor. Given how badly she smelled, I was astonished that she complained about the way her roommate smelled. Granted, the roommate did have diarrhea and kept flooding the bed, but at least poop is supposed to smell bad. No one's breath should ever smell like that.

The two ladies had to be separated and now some new innocent patient has to be with the stinky breath lady.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 10/30/2006 12:09:00 PM, Blogger kate loving shenk said...

hi melissa--

enjoy reading your blog--

just wanted you to see my new "lens"--

http://www.squidoo.com/katelovingshenk

thanks--

kate loving shenk

 
At 10/30/2006 06:32:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I was told in motorcycle safety class that one drink leaves your bloodstream every hour. If she was still .8 5 hours later, that would mean that probably 5 beers (assuming she was drinking beer) had exited her system. In order to be .8 to begin with, that would be 4 beers, as long as she was around 170. Fewer beers would be required if she weighed less.

She was pretty drunk.

 
At 10/30/2006 08:57:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lisa, either that or the freeway walls like to jump out at unsuspecting people.

 
At 10/30/2006 11:43:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

the lady w/ stinky breath needs to brush her teeth...that is just vile to smell like dirty underware... I wouldn't be able to handle that very well... you are a special person to do what you do.

 
At 10/31/2006 08:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One drink leaves your body every hour?

That's probably more like one sip, unless you've got a super liver.

 
At 11/02/2006 01:11:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Madwag, I just try to breathe through my mouth.

Beajerry, I was taught the one drink per hour rule, but it doesn't apply to me. I have a low tolerance for alcohol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home