web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, November 03, 2006

We Hate It Already

It's been announced that no vacations will be granted between January and June of next year. Even the union is going along with it. Do they know something that we don't? Is a mass plague headed this way and they want to be sure that there is adequate staff to meet the crisis? Do they know of some terrorist attack which will devastate LA during the first half of the year?

No, the reason why no vacations will be granted is because of the new computer system we are getting. How crazy is that? If this system requires six months of training, it's going to be hopeless. Few nurses are nerds. If they can't be taught the system in a few hours, it is too complicated.

Several billions of dollars (that is not a typo) have been spent on this system. It sounds like they need to spend some more money on it to make it more nurse friendly.

They say that the new system will make us paperless. (Excuse me while I snort in derision.) I would like to get a pool going to bet that we will still be using paper, but I can't find anyone willing to bet against me.

I mentioned to management that if people can't take time off, then the sick calls will increase. (This was not a threat, but a projection.) I wonder if I could find anyone who would be willing to bet that the new policy won't affect sick calls?


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 11/04/2006 04:30:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

If that were me, I would already be getting sick. In fact, I think I'm already getting sympathy pains. :)

 
At 11/04/2006 12:00:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

That sounds like a pretty goofy reason not to grant vacations.

Paper will never go away. I remember those claims decades ago.

 
At 11/05/2006 08:23:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Many people say "paperless", but few often use it. :) Six months is ridiculous. Sounds like hospital admin is just not getting the end-user role in the transition.

It only took me 1/2 hour to explain electronic faxing to a bunch of nurses. Anything more technical takes away from what they should really be doing... caring for patients.

 
At 11/05/2006 10:47:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gary, I'm sure that whatever you have is highly contagious and will infect all of the nurses in my hospital.

Alan, I think that the people who are saying that we will be paperless also expect us to believe in the Easter bunny.

Lisa, judging from management's behavior sometimes, I think that they have forgotten that the more other stuff they expect us to do, the less time we have to take care of the patients.

 
At 11/05/2006 05:53:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Huh? The Easter Bunny's not real?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home