web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Rose War


My hands and arms are covered with tiny stab wounds. It was without provocation that the roses attacked me. That's what I hate about roses. If you get anywhere near them, they jump out and stab you with their sharp, nasty thorns.

I wouldn't have them at all if there was much choice, but there isn't much else that is so easy to grow and blooms nearly year round. Being a nurse, it is especially important to keep my skin intact. Skin is pretty much the only thing standing between me and certain death from a deadly assortment of microbes looking for new digs.

I'm not nearly done working on the rose beds and it is tempting at times like this to just get rid of all of them. Until I'm done, I'm going to be walking around looking like I have been in a cat fight. Why does something so pretty and easy have to be so difficult?


~ Home

3 Comments:

At 11/06/2006 02:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't get rid of them! roses and tulips are the most perfect flowers...it sucks that the roses have thorns, but i guess we can't have all the pretty petals without the reminder of the ugly thorns :)

 
At 11/06/2006 06:44:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Thorns are nature's defense for roses against preditors. Maybe the rose bushes think you are a preditor. :)

 
At 11/07/2006 11:53:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

May, I agree with you about tulips. It's too bad that they have such a brief blooming period.

Gary, I suppose I am a predator of sorts. I decide if they live or die.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home