web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Not Even The Newspapers Mentioned It

It was just another typical night in LA. Some guy hijacked a car. Depending on who is telling the story, he next picked up a prostitute. The cops tried to pull him over and he took off. So began another car chase.

Racing through the Valley in the middle of the night in the rain, he lost control of his car and crashed into one of the concrete planters outside the hospital. Taking off on foot, he ran inside the hospital and disappeared.

For the next several hours, LAPD swarmed the hospital. An LAPD helicopter orbited the hospital shining its night-becomes-day spotlight into the windows. News helicopters hovered above. Patients curious about what was going on could just turn on their TV's to see the action outside on the news.

The ending was anti-climatic. The suspect was found,taken to the ER, treated for injuries and hauled off to jail.

This happened almost a week ago and I just heard about it last night. The night shift nurses apparently didn't find the incident worthy of discussion. If that happened during my shift, I would have had plenty to say, but perhaps for them, it was just another typical shift.


~ Home

3 Comments:

At 12/28/2006 07:33:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Ah yes, the classic LA car chase. I was in Palmdale one afternoon and happened to tune into a car chase. It provided two hours of entertainment. My business partner wanted to go to dinner, but I said, "No, I gotta see how this turns out." He sat down and we watched until the end.

 
At 12/30/2006 05:54:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Wow, isn't it funny how we accept things to be the norm and not worthy of discussion

 
At 12/30/2006 07:06:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, some people subscribe to services that will call when there is a car chase on TV. They can be addictive.

Michelle, that is strange, but I'm not there yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home