web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Under Assault

They're heeerrrrreee! We've been waiting for months and they finally showed up. JCHACO has finally decided to grace us with their presence. They're the lovely people who accredit our hospital. Without their approval, we're out of business, so it is fair to say that we do kow tow to them and try out best to please them. What choice do we have? But what happens when the surveyor is an idiot? What then?

The idiot told us that whenever a patient is a DNR (do not resuscitate) the matter must first be referred to the bioethics committee. Excuse me? The patient in question was elderly, alert and oriented and wanted to be a DNR. Her family was in agreement. So why would we refer a situation like this to the bioethics committee? The committee is involved when there is a dispute with the patient, family members or staff about the proper course of treatment. There were no issues here.

We have six DNRs on the floor right now. That's nearly half of our patient census. It is a high number, but that is what the patients and their families want. None of them were referred to the bioethics committee because there is no dispute over what anyone one's wishes are.

I hope that administration doesn't cave on this and add to our protocol that all DNRs must first be approved by the bioethics committee. That requirement would just result in unnecessary suffering by requiring us to keep alive, by whatever means necessary, people who just want nature to take its course, that is until the committee could meet.

I'm wondering if the surveyor in question is truly an idiot who doesn't know what bioethic committees do or if he is of the belief that DNRs are murder. Some people believe that and if he feels that way, perhaps he's trying to impose his personal beliefs on us. Or, does he think that since there are so many DNRs, we must be forcing them on people to save us money? We are a big HMO, but even we wouldn't resort to that.

It would never be allowed, but I wish that I could question him to determine if he's

1) an idiot,

2) a misguided moral zealot, or

3) if he thinks that we are trying to talk people into refusing resuscitation to save money.

What do you think?


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 12/14/2006 02:33:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Maybe I should withdraw my application to JHACO for the surveyor position. I would be happy to see so many DNR's for a change and would wonder what was wrong if there weren't so many!

 
At 12/14/2006 02:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll guess he's a number 2 (ha ha).

 
At 12/14/2006 06:26:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

He's probably the leader of that movement where they think it's wrong to not do everything possible to extend life, regardless of the patient's quality of life.

 
At 12/14/2006 08:49:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Knowing what I do about politics, I suspect this is not just an individual interpretation. I suspect it came all the way from the top. I could be wrong, but this sounds to me like it is a policy that came out of that strange mess in Florida. A lot of people got very worked up about that.

 
At 12/15/2006 05:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only is he an idiot but he collecting bad karma and is sentencing himself to a slow painful death as a full code.

B. Perky

 
At 12/16/2006 08:29:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I suspect Gary is right on the money.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home