web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, December 08, 2006

Can't Give It Away

The neighbors have had an ugly little table sitting on the sidewalk for several weeks. It has had a sign on it that says $50. I wasn't sure if that was the price for the table or how much they were willing to pay to have it carried away.

Last week the sign was changed to say "free."

Yesterday was trash day and the table was sitting by the curb with the trash cans. The trash had been taken and the table was left behind. Now they're going to have to pay someone to take it or cut it up into pieces that will fit in the trash can.

I guess they figured it was worth a try to get someone to pay for it, but I think that I would have saved myself the embarrassment and just gotten rid of it quietly.


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 12/08/2006 02:19:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

If they broke it up and put it in an old suitcase left on their porch, someone would steal it! :)

 
At 12/08/2006 05:45:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I'm going to need to get rid of a couch soon. I wonder if ..., no never mind. I don't have that many suitcases.

 
At 12/08/2006 08:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

salvation army is a good option.

 
At 12/08/2006 08:46:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

May, they're quite picky when it comes to taking furniture. I've known lots of people, myself included, who had their furniture rejected by them.

 
At 12/09/2006 07:40:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

In my neighborhood there are a few junkmen who drive by in their old pickups just before trash pickup. They will take just about anything. Probably even if it has a price tag on it. :)

 
At 12/09/2006 07:14:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

My nephew and his friends would drive around town and collect all the free furniture available along the sidewalks. They would then have a giant bonfire with the collected items. Not much to do in a small town.

 
At 12/10/2006 05:35:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gary, that sounds like a good way to get rid of stuff that you don't want.

Alan, I wonder if the neighbors would care if I had a bonfire with my unwanted furniture. My guess is that the Fire Dept. response time would be less than 4 minutes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home