web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Cheap For A Reason

I love cheap watches. When the batteries die, I find it easier and more fun to just buy a new watch. I also like not having to worry about something bad happening to my watches. If the glass gets scratched or if it no longer keeps time, oh well, I have plenty more.

Yesterday, I saw a great sale on watches. They were five bucks each, so I bought two. Since I was near a jewelers, I also took my collection of old watches with dead batteries in to get replacements. That cost six bucks each. It was cheaper to just buy new watches, except for one thing. Once I was home, I discovered why the watches were so cheap. The batteries were dead.

One of the watches came with a warranty that I found amusing. My favorite section said, "Ok, so what if you like fall on your wrist bungee jumping and the crystal breaks or you try to stretch the bracelet around you head in a fashion statement and it breaks? Guess what? It's not our fault..." It's nice to see warranties written in plain English. Too bad the batteries aren't covered by the warranty.


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 11/29/2006 01:28:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I too have been lusting after watches this year. ou know every year it is my, and sometimes our tradition to buy a new sparkly ring and maybe a matching necklace at the after X-Mas sale. Well I have so many rings and only so many fingers I thought this year Maybe a nice watch would be in order. (depending on the job market of course). I have a couple of nice pendant necklaces and I could use another, maybe pink saffire or if I can find just the right brilliant tone of pink topaz that would do but I grow weary of waiting for my inheritance of the vintage platinum art deco rolex from granny's estate (Kay's mom). I have seen great deals on diamond encrusted vintage style watches on sale already and it's not even after X-mas sale prices! I must have the day after Christmas off!
I don't care if I have to work X-mas (as long as I have Hannukah off so I can bake challah and cook seder. I also plan to cook mega X-mas cookies, buche de noel, and a delightful delicacy an old friend brought back from france... mayonaisse eau chocolat (divine chocolate mouse). I hope you can take take a day off to prepare your prize winning fugde, I would like to do it together so I can steal your recipe. It has been over 3 years since I was able to properly bake since I was still unpacking after the move in '04, I had my surgery in '05 so this is my first free year. Maybe we could squeeze in some cream puffs and eclairs or a pavlova!

 
At 11/29/2006 03:37:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Well, at least the watches tell the correct time twice a day.

 
At 11/29/2006 06:42:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11/29/2006 06:46:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I really like that red one. It looks like it cost a lot more than five dollars.

 
At 11/30/2006 08:17:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Sarah, my recipe for fudge is in my archives for last December. I don't know where you get the energy to do all that. I'm thrashed and the holiday is still a month away.

Alan, in that case, there's no reason to even buy new batteries.

Gary, I think the retail value of the watch is about fifteen dollars. It's still cheap even at that price.

 
At 11/30/2006 08:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i bought a watch in walmart for 5.99. the "genuine leather" strap didn't last due to endless handwashing, but the watch was still working when i threw it, because if i buy the strap, it would have been more expensive. i'm sure, the warranty didn't cover it too :)

 
At 12/02/2006 01:00:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

May, my endless handwashing wears out my watches quickly too. Just like hands, watches aren't designed to be washed a hundred times a day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home