web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Entertainment Challenge

I kicked the bucket today, literally. I was scrubbing dog off the walls and tripped over the bucket of water. Murphy tracks so much dirty water in the house, I guess that one more bucketful won't make much difference. The carpet should dry eventually, or rot.

I wish that I could have the entire inside of the house repainted. The carpet and wood floors also need replacing, but there is no point in doing that now. They will just get damaged again. Murphy is terminally ill and has been sneezing blood for nine months now and my house shows it and smells it. The couch is completely saturated with pond water and blood. It will have to be replaced, but not until Murph is gone.

So, what was I thinking when I invited my new friend over for dinner? If it's warm, I could mostly keep him on the patio, but the temperatures tend to drop at night. Whatever I do, I have to keep him away from the couch. The smell alone would make him want to run.

The only place fairly presentable is my bedroom. The bed is the only clean, dry and comfortable place to sit in my house, but entertaining him there just might give him the wrong idea.

I hope he understands that I'm providing hospice care to a much loved dog and that my house normally doesn't look or smell like this. If he doesn't understand, then it will be a good test of his character.

I could just blind-fold him, pinch his nose and lead him straight to my bedroom. Would that make him suspicious?


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 11/20/2006 06:41:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

I think it is a perfect test....

 
At 11/20/2006 10:30:00 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Tell him beforehand!

- Lisa's dad.

 
At 11/20/2006 10:59:00 AM, Blogger kate loving shenk said...

well, i love dogs and have an old one myself who is still thriving--
but i know the time will come--yet i enjoy every moment with my true love--

wondered if you'd like to sign up to my weekly newsletter for nurses?

http://www.nursingcareertransformation.com/simplenewslettersignup.html

happy kisses to your friend--

kate loving shenk

 
At 11/20/2006 11:29:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Madwag, I hope he passes the test.

Bulldog, I will give him advance warning, but no warning could entirely prepare him for what my house is like right now.

Kate, thanks. I appreciate that.

 
At 11/20/2006 06:27:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Excited maybe, but not suspicious.

 
At 11/20/2006 06:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, might as well handcuff him, too. lol

 
At 11/21/2006 11:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I could just blind-fold him, pinch his nose and lead him straight to my bedroom. Would that make him suspicious?"

Ref.: Ativan Adventure, Tuesday's entry -
Try some ice cream, with a selected additive? 'Course, there are those who find chocolate just irresistable, especially Chocolate/Chocolate-Chip. W/ hot fudge. But I digress.

 
At 11/23/2006 12:30:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, that wouldn't make you suspicious? Men would be easy to rob if I were so inclined.

Lisa, we have to leave something for the wedding night. :)

Paul, I could bake chocolate cookies and burn scented candles, but the rotting meat smell would still be there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home