web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Late For Work

Arriving at work, I heard the excited cries of my coworkers, "Melissa is here." That was unusual. Normally, only my dogs get that excited to see me. Everyone was excited because I was late for only the second time in my nursing career. Well, they weren't excited that I was late, they were excited that I had finally arrived. They weren't concerned for my safety, they just didn't want the added burden of having to take care of my patients. I totally understand that. Even after I arrived, we were still short-staffed.

What made me late was the same thing that had me late on that other occasion, a brush fire. Going through the Newhall pass, traffic came to a complete stop. With the smoke and helicopters flying around, it wasn't hard to figure out what the problem was. All I could do was call in late and wait.

While waiting, I was thinking about that other time a fire got in my way. I was four hours late to work. That had me a little worried because I had drunk a lot of fluids before leaving the house today and I could feel a growing pressure in my bladder. If this was going to be another four hour wait, I wasn't going to make it. I was starting to look around in my car for something to pee in, in case it became a crisis situation. After only half an hour, the freeway was re-opened averting a bladder incident.


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 11/07/2006 07:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After suffering for 24 hours in a 100 mile parking lot while fleeing Hurricane Rita, I discovered Travel John (http://www.traveljohn.com/1-1-2.php).

Poppi

 
At 11/07/2006 08:13:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

It's been monsoon time here in Seattle. Traffic is many times slower than usual (110 minutes to go 30 miles on the freeway). A local TV traffic reporter advised the locals not to have the usual bran muffin and six cups of coffee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home