web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Private Pockets

They had better not ask me to see what's in my pockets. That could get real ugly.

What's going on is that our sister hospital in the valley is undergoing their accreditation inspection. The inspectors are asking nurses to show them what's in their pockets. They will be coming to our hospital soon and so will probably do the same thing to us.

If they ask me, I will give them my death stare. Trust me on this. When angry, my eyes cause people to stutter and forget what they wanted to say. I will then pretend that I'm about to lift my top and ask if they would also like to see what's in my bra. Then, I'll offer them latex gloves and ask if they would also like to do a body cavity search. I don't care about the accreditors, but the administrators who follow the accreditors around would have a fit if I did that.

I have nothing to hide in my pockets, but it feels like a violation of my body and privacy to display the contents. Am I right to refuse to open my pockets?


~ Home

9 Comments:

At 11/09/2006 05:19:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

What's the link between accreditation and pocket contents? Are you required to carry certain items?

 
At 11/09/2006 05:21:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

How about a picture of the death stare.

 
At 11/09/2006 07:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are not wrong, they are not right. thing is, if you refuse them, whatever it is that are lurking in thier loony heads will escalate into something ridiculous and they will suspect you of trying to hide something. like really, can a gun fit in your pocket, or a urinal maybe? this accreditation thing is getting on my nerves too...JACHO is not even coming till the first quarter of 2007, but things are definitely going from worse to worst in our unit.

hang in there...

 
At 11/09/2006 07:46:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

You should put some gag stuff from a fun shop in your pockets just for the occasion. Get a good laugh out of it. If they ask about the stuff, tell them you carry it all the time just to cheer yourself up. :)

 
At 11/09/2006 07:56:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, we are not required to carry anything. They are more concerned that we might be carrying something that we should not have.

Sorry, no photo. It would break the camera lens.

May, perhaps I could go through my sarcastic routine and then open my pockets to show that I'm really not hiding anything. I'm so tired of waiting for JHACO and enduring all of the craziness too.

 
At 11/09/2006 11:50:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps they will ask you for a urine sample and a lie detector test, too. After all, its for your safety and the patients, too. Right? Oh yeah, how about a locker search? That sounds like fun. What an invasion of privacy!

 
At 11/09/2006 07:47:00 PM, Blogger Surgeon In My Dreams said...

Tampons. Pack just as many of those little OB tampons as you can get in there. In the other pocket, boxes of MIDOL. In your waistband...a small calber semi-automatic.

Just for laughs of course.

 
At 11/10/2006 10:34:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

JCAHO is our friend. :)

 
At 11/10/2006 11:53:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gary, it's too bad that a rubber chicken won't fit in my pockets.

Connie, they're probably saving that for the next inspection.

Surgeon, Maybe I should just strap on an AK 47. They would probably just avoid me entirely.

Lisa, in an alternate universe. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home