web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Feeling So Dirty

No one would choose to be like this. It must have been out of her control that her weight got to the point where she could no longer stand. Even though she is as round as a ball, she can't even turn in bed. She is completely helpless and we have to call the lift team every time we need to move her in bed, which unfortunately, is often. She has severe watery diarrhea and naturally, is incontinent.

The folds are so deep that it takes one nurse to pry them apart and another nurse to do the washing. The folds that escape the river of liquid stool have their own special charm. Stuff is growing in them. The assortment of ointments we have been using don't work. The constant moisture in the folds has caused the skin to breakdown and split open.

Of course she's miserable. Who wouldn't be? She's bedbound, itchy and needs to take her anger out on someone. The nurses are the easiest target, so we get the bulk of the abuse. She doesn't know how to talk in a normal tone of voice. She just screams her demands and curses. She's called management so many times to complain that not even the wimpy, kowtowing managers care anymore. She's not even crazy or demented, just mean.

Her favorite demand is "Wash my vagina." This happens once or twice a shift. We have to stuff a wet wash cloth in her vagina, pull it out, rinse and repeat until she's satisfied. I'm beginning to think that her motive does not involve a desire for cleanliness. Her vagina couldn't possibly get dirty that fast. If we refuse, she screams and keeps the call light on until we can't stand it anymore. I wish that I could call in sick until she's gone.


~ Home

11 Comments:

At 11/13/2006 06:17:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Whenever I read or hear about someone like that, I always think they are so fat that they can't go but their own food, so someone was bringing them food. For quite a long time. It always makes me wonder why someone would do that.'Wash my vagina' sounds like more than hygeine to me too.

 
At 11/13/2006 07:22:00 AM, Blogger beajerry said...

Sloppy-fat patients are disgusting. I don't mind people who are genetically-predisposed to be large, big-boned, fat, or whatever you want to call them. But those who are way beyond that are "sloppy fat", and they are gross.

 
At 11/13/2006 09:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My moma used to say, "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar." Just because someone is fat and/or sick, that doesn't make it ok to be mean.

 
At 11/13/2006 10:43:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

hmmmmmmmmmmm... sounds smelly. She is a mean person... I know huge fat people that are nice and dont' 'demand' that their vaginas are washed out. I know that she must hate herself... and wants to be nice... but doesn't know how...that is sad. I think the vagiana thing could be a weird sexual thing that she doesn't even know is sexual... I mean... you know..... eh?

 
At 11/13/2006 03:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that is one of the nastiest most disgusting things I have ever heard. It takes a special person to do what you are doing.

 
At 11/13/2006 06:31:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

I'm sure glad I don't read blogs during lunch. This was the biggest "Ew!" yet.

 
At 11/13/2006 08:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i heard my shoulder click last night when we cleaned a 477 pound patient who was having diarrhea. we do not have a lift team. 4 RNs just to clean her up properly. good thing was, she was nice and cooperative. still, it makes me wonder how they truly feel about being helpless even with simple things like cleaning up themselves.

 
At 11/14/2006 01:50:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Have you tried assigning a male nurse to her?

 
At 11/14/2006 06:39:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gary, if you had to listen to her scream, you would bring her food too. Anything to shut her up.

Beajerry, I know what you mean.

Connie, my dad likes that saying too. It's also very true.

Madwag, I suspect that we are as close to a sex life as she gets. Her hands can't even reach her private parts.

Anon, we don't have much choice. I'm just glad that
I have chronic sinus problems so that the smell is blunted.

Alan, stick around, major ewwws are my specialty. I'm sure that I can top that.

May, since we got our lift team, our injuries skydived. Your hospital decision makers are being short-sighted about the need for a lift team.

I'm sure that her life is hell. I don't even know why she wants to live.

Sarah, we have. She has no sexual preference.

 
At 11/19/2006 10:39:00 AM, Blogger shrimplate said...

I used to work in a hospital that specialized in bariatric surgery. Most of the patients were good as gold. Not like this fat bitch.

Even the surgeons used to say that it took something else, something beyond mere genetic predisposition, to make a person get from say 375 lbs up to the 500+ category.

I think so too. There's obesity, morbid obesity, and the fu$ked-up-beyond-all-repair obesity.

 
At 11/19/2006 07:32:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Shrimplate, I'm sure that this patient would have been a f...ing bitch even if she had been a normal weight. The extreme weight just made her difficult to care for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home