web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

We Want You

I get these things in the mail almost everyday. Hospitals are always looking for nurses and sending out flyers. Contrary to popular belief, there is not really a nursing shortage. What there is, is a shortage of hospitals that nurses are willing to work in, for good reason I might add.

Most hospitals offer sign in bonuses or even cars, such as Ford Mustang convertibles. This hospital offered a modest $2,000. $5,000 to $10,000 is closer to the norm. It's still not enough, though. But that's the topic for a different post.

What interested me here is the photo. Some of the nurses are wearing leis and carrying pom poms. Is that how the nurses at this hospital dress for work? They look like they're having more fun than the weary, depressed nurses I work with. I guess the flier nurses are trying to pretend that their hospital is a fun place to work. I do plead guilty to being cynical by nature, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think that they are lying. In fact I know that they're lying. I've been in that hospital as a student nurse and as a patient and I never saw a lei, pom pom or happy nurse.

I also never saw a monkey. Take a closer look at the photo.


See the monkey? Is this something new? Do they have monkeys swinging from the IV poles in their hospital? Or, are they saying that some of their coworkers are monkeys? If they're saying that a monkey could do this job, it's not true. A monkey wouldn't do this job.


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 11/29/2006 08:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A rag chimp, as in Children's Department?
Last year's Christmas party, after dipping into the meds cabinet?
To me this looks like a photo montage made up for the advertisement.

 
At 11/29/2006 08:47:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Looks to me like there's definately some monkey business going on. :)

 
At 11/29/2006 01:33:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

As I recall we did a psych rotation there (at least I did). No one in my dept looked the least bit chipper and there were no monkeys...unless you count that instructor who kept going to south america for her plastic surgery, although she looked more like a scary doll than a monkey with the temperment of a tasmanian devil.

 
At 11/30/2006 01:06:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Paul, I like the idea of it being a photo of the nurses at the Christmas party on drugs.

Gary, it appears so.

Sarah, That instructor was scarier than the psyche patients what with her bad plastic surgery, tattooed-on make up and accent that no one could understand.

 
At 12/03/2006 04:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a good way to grab attention for the advert, doesn't it?

At my job, they are offering an employee bonus (to us, not the person hired), if we refer a physical therapist and they are hired ($2,000).

What you said makes sense, about the nursing shortage. There seems to be a ton of people going through nursing school. The federal grant money, which sends some people to nursing school, has a LOT of competition. Even getting into nursing school here, there is limited enrollment opportunities.

Not that I'm crying about that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home