web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Ativan Adventure

I know that it's against the rules, but I did it anyway. We all do. What happened is that one of the crazier patients who was being guarded by an aide, started acting up and became difficult to control. The aide asked me if there was something I could give the patient to take her down a notch. I said that I would see what I could do.

I checked the records and there was nothing ordered that I could just jab her with. The doc only ordered pills and that requires a patient's cooperation in the form of swallowing. I was going to have to trick her.

I got a healthy dose of ativan, crushed it and mixed it with a spoonful of ice cream. I walked into the patient's room, handed it to the aide and said, "Here."

She replied, "Oh, no thank you."

I whispered, it's for the patient, that's ativan. She then took the spoon and gave it to the patient. (Aides aren't allowed to give meds, but she had the best chance of getting it down the patient.)

It's a good thing that the aide didn't want the spoonful of ice cream that she thought I was offering her. Otherwise, she would have taken the spoon, I would have walked out of the room and she would have eaten the ativan by mistake. Later, I would have found the aide passed out and the patient wilder and crazier than ever. That would have been really hard to explain.


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 11/21/2006 09:47:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

You are very clever. There's not doubt about it. :)

 
At 11/21/2006 11:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually try to trick my cats into taking meds that way. It never seems to work. Glad you were successful.

 
At 11/23/2006 12:35:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gary, nurses have to be creative.

Connie, what works for dogs works for people. I guess cats are less trusting than dogs.

 
At 2/14/2011 02:31:00 AM, Blogger Ramesh said...

I have been on Lorezapam (generic for Ativan) for about 12 years now. I have stopped taking it for periods of time (up to 3 months or more), but only wound up having acute panic attacks again and often hospitalized since some of my symtoms were considered life threatning. It is the only medication that has been able to prevent me from having acute anxiety attacks and some other health problems esp ... buy ativan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home