web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Blame The Dog

My dad is doing better. What happened is that he caught a bug that turned into pneumonia. The stress of the illness caused his heart to go into A fib. He has reverted back to a normal rhythm and is responding well to the antibiotics.

He's bored silly, is going through nicotine withdrawal and feeling ornery. Hopefully, he'll be discharged soon, both for his sake as well as the nurses.

I stayed overnight with my mom. She's scared to be alone. In my father's chair, she put one of my dad's outfits, stuffed it with towels and topped it with a wig. That was so in case anyone looked in the window, it would look like he was sitting there. It looked like a pile of clothes and a wig to me, but if it made her feel better, that's fine.

There was an ugly incident in the middle of the night. Unfortunately, I tend to scream in my sleep. So, when I started up, I woke up to my mom yelling at the dog to be quiet. She thought that it was the dog howling. Feeling guilty, I said nothing.

The next morning my mom asked if the dog's howling woke me up. She was still upset about being woken up like that. I said yeah. I was too embarrassed to admit that it was me. I guess that is one of the problems with being a dog. People tend to blame things on you.


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 12/03/2006 10:19:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Glad to hear your dad is doing better!

 
At 12/04/2006 03:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol... I'm telling! :)

Glad to hear your dad is ok.

 
At 12/04/2006 09:10:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I love that. Blame it on the dog.

Glad your dad is doing better.

Do you really scream in your sleep?

 
At 12/04/2006 11:23:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Wow I did'nt know anyone else screamed in their sleep. Long deafeningly loud worthy of the opera type screams. It wakes up the whole house, probably the neighbors too. Night terrors suck but I have had them since I was a child...but that is not what usually gets blamed on the dog :O Poor dogs, everyone blames their stinky farts on them. And even an amateur can tell the difference between a dog fart and a human fart, except for that one that smelled like burning rubber, I don't know where that one came from. I got the remote control fart machine that you hide under the couch cushion for when your stuffy in laws come for the holidays, What Fun!
I'm glad your dad has stabilized and it turned out to be something easily fixed.
btw, next time you have to stay at your mom's I can loan you a little something to make you feel safer:)

 
At 12/04/2006 07:15:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

:(( I wish i could give you hug. I have been catching up on all your posts, what a nasty time you've had. I am so glad your dad is doing better, i wish only good things for you from now on :o)

 
At 12/04/2006 11:39:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

Wow... you are going through a lot at the moment. :o(
I'm sorry about Murphy... he sounds like he is still happy. I hope your dad has a quick recovery. It must have scared the heck out of your poor mum.
I talk in my sleep... my kids think it is really funny.

 
At 12/05/2006 12:46:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Karen, thanks.

Lisa, you better not. :)

Gary, yeah, I really scream and it's loud. Does that mean you won't sleep with me now? :)

Sarah, it's a wonder that neither of us did any screaming in Ireland. I didn't know that you were a screamer too.
As far as something to make my mom feel safe, nothing you have could possibly surpass the arsenal that my parents have.

Michelle, that's two of us who have been having a nasty time. It's time for that to change for both of us.

Madwag, I'm not sure which is worse, talking and saying something embarrassing or being embarrassed by screaming.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home