web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Dismembered And On The Floor

One of the patients was unhappy with us and no longer wanted to be a member. I don't recall why, exactly, but this kind of thing isn't unusual. What was unusual was his phrasing. He demanded to talk to "dismembership services" because he wanted to be "dismembered." We weren't too happy with him either and his request was tempting. Too bad we didn't have a chain saw.




Since September, we've had a crazy, homeless guy living with us. We would like to drop him off at a shelter (or under a bridge), but we got into too much trouble the last time we did that, (criminal charges are still pending). So, we are just stuck. At this rate, we may turn into a giant homeless shelter, but that's another story.

This crazy guy, who won't stop screaming or making lewd comments to the nurses, is tied down by his wrists, ankles and waist. He also has a sitter to watch him and is being chemically tamed by powerful psych drugs. We don't have much choice; he's young, strong, violent and completely out of his mind.

Up until this week, he was on another floor, but the nurses there needed a break from him, so we got him. Coming back from a break, I heard one of the nurses say, "I can't believe he's on the floor." I said that I couldn't believe it either, but what can you do?

It wasn't until another hour had gone by that it was brought to my attention that the patient was lying on the floor. If I had known that the nurse meant literally that the patient was on the floor, I would have made arrangements to get him back into bed. So, he spent over an hour lying on the cold, hard floor. Oh well.


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 12/27/2006 07:26:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Dismembered. That was a good laugh.

 
At 12/27/2006 10:59:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

It's fun sometimes when people don't speak English as a first language.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home