web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Again?

What is it about female patients? Why do they all need to pee every 45 minutes?

I had a room with four females, all of whom had had knee replacements. They were all at the stage where they could sort of walk, but the process of getting them out of bed, to the toilet, off the toilet and back into bed could take 10 or 15 minutes, easily. And for some reason, if one went, they all wanted to go, too. Do the math, as soon as the last patient got her turn, it was time to start over again.

We're not supposed to, but after everyone got a couple of walks to the bathroom, I started encouraging bedpans. It was the only hope I had for accomplishing anything besides walking people to the bathroom.

I bet if doctors had to provide bedside care of their patients, all of the patients would have catheter orders.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 1/11/2007 09:21:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

I've noticed a similarity when we're out on the town with family or friends. When one female decides to get up and go to the restroom, all the females suddenly get up and follow along.

 
At 1/11/2007 09:24:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Sorry, Blogger doubled on me.

 
At 1/11/2007 09:37:00 AM, Blogger beajerry said...

"What is it about female patients? Why do they all need to pee every 45 minutes?"

LOL! That's the BEST!

 
At 1/11/2007 08:47:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

LOL, I'm laughing at Alan's comment....its so true! Why is it we can never go on our own?!

 
At 1/12/2007 04:32:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Maybe some day they will invent a pill that lets people shcedule their pit stops. That would be very nice. :)

 
At 1/14/2007 10:38:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, Blogger can be such a bugger. I removed the duplicate.

I don't know why women like to go to the bathroom in gangs. I prefer to go by myself.

beajerry, I suspect that you know what I'm talking about.

Michelle, is it true for you?

Gary, I think that God made a mistake in designing bladders. They should be much larger.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home