web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Christmas Present logic

For the first time ever, my employer didn't give us a Christmas present. It's always been a $25 gift certificate either to a grocery store or department store. With inflation, the value of the gift has decreased over the years, but still we want it. It's nice to know that our employer cares enough to give us something, anything.

I've known for a few weeks that there would be no gift. We are faced with some financial problems in the coming year due to pending Medicare cuts and our new computer system. I figured that they couldn't afford presents this year and I didn't give it much further thought.

It turns out that the reason for no presents has nothing to do with the financial stability of my employer. The official reason for the lack of gifts is because we would have to pay taxes on the gift and they don't want us to have to do that. Well, isn't that sweet and thoughtful? Heck, why don't they spread the generosity even further and not pay us at all? Think of all of the taxes that would save us. Rather than just pay no taxes on no gift, we could pay no taxes on no salary.


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 1/02/2007 07:21:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Maybe they'll toss in free health care.

 
At 1/03/2007 08:09:00 PM, Blogger ERRN4U said...

Melissa:

Please move to Houston and come work in our ER. Yeah, it's true the weather is hot and hotter, and then there is the humidity -- which does wonders for your complexion and makes glorious tropical plants and flowers. But you won't have to suffer any longer in the horrible place that you work -- at least it sounds horrible and you can meet a nice man in the oil bidness! So pack up the pups and come on down!!

 
At 1/04/2007 12:50:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, free health care is one thing that we do get and it's not taxed. Good thing, too, or they would probably use that as an excuse to get rid of that too.

Errn4u, you mean that it's not this way everywhere?

I have been in Houston and thought that I would die from the heat and humidity. There's a reason why so many people want to live in S. California. On the other hand, it would be nice to work where nurses are treated better.

 
At 1/04/2007 06:02:00 PM, Blogger ERRN4U said...

You won't die, you'll only feel like dying a few months out of the year -- June - mid September! Don't get me wrong I would love to live in No. Cal but I don't like the prospect of living in a tiny dump that costs $500,000. Much more bang for you housing buck here in Texas. As for the hospital situation, my hospital was recently awarded 6th place in Houston's "best places to work" However, being on the floor just bites any way you cut it. Maybe you could try switching departments. I can tell you that we have a really great group of nurses and docs in our ER but the med/surg floors are no picnic, maybe that's just the way it is?? Anyway, I always enjoy reading about your work days and you wouldn't want to let down all of your readers if you didn't have any crazy scenarios to write about! :o)

Sallie

 
At 1/05/2007 03:34:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I thought it was because the homeless guy was costing mega bucks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home