web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Getting Old

I've been a little forgetful lately. I wanted to pour something from a bottle that had to be shaken first. I removed the top and shook it. Next, I wiped down the kitchen cabinets, counter and floor. And lastly, wiped the salad dressing off my hair and changed my top.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. You should see me at work.

Menopause isn't for wimps. It's turning me into an idiot. The doctor won't give me hormones yet, so I'm trying every snake oil remedy I can get my hands on. Even when the doctor lets me have hormones, it may increase my risk for dementia. A mind is a terrible thing to lose.


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 11/21/2007 10:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel you pain. Hang in there - it will probably only be another sever or eight years!

 
At 11/21/2007 01:10:00 PM, Blogger may said...

i can totally relate to this. i am 38 but there are times when i am in the middle a room, clueless as to why i went there in the first place. imagine what will happen to me when menopause hits me :(

 
At 11/22/2007 01:43:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

holy cow.... I am going to be a complete loon when I go through it!! I have SAD... and I am already forgetful and dingy.... lol. I lost my car keys last weekend and I can't wait to see where I find them... maybe in the freezer?!... in the sock drawer?

 
At 11/22/2007 07:15:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

The hot flashes are rather impressive from an observer's point of view. Annette has a somewhat different opinion.

 
At 11/23/2007 05:54:00 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

Been there, done that! Bless your heart. Let me tell you that I went through menopause without hormones because I kept telling the doctor I was menopausal and he kept saying I was way too young and when my periods finally ceased completely he said, I guess you were right. I'm actually kind of glad I didn't take hormones....I can't say how the rest of my family felt. LOL

 
At 11/25/2007 12:41:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Connie, I'm determined to find a solution. If I have to, I'll lie to get hormones.

May, I do that all the time too. That's my baseline.

Madwag, I don't do that well this time of year either. In another month the days will start getting longer again.

Alan, I'm not sure what is the worst part about hot flashes, the awful, burning feeling or knowing that other people can see it.

Granny, doctors can be pretty frustrating sometimes. Hormones are risky, but I want them anyway. I just wish that they could replace exactly what is missing. Something made from horse piss is not quite the same.

 
At 11/25/2007 06:43:00 AM, Blogger gemmak said...

Menopause is definately not for wimps....I put cat food in the washing machine dispenser not long since and washing tabs in the cat bowl!....Thankfully I didn't turn the washing machine on and the cat turned her nose up at the new menu!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home