web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, November 04, 2007

A Wild Weekend

I just got home after spending the last three days in San Diego. There are many places to go there such as the San Diego Zoo, San Diego Wild Animal Park, Sea World and Lego Land. I just spent the long weekend at a Bat Mitzvah.

The ceremony itself only took an hour and a half, but there were three parties following it. I'm exhausted. Eating, drinking from open bars, eating, smiling, eating, talking and eating is hard work. I've never seen so much food.

I can't believe how much money people can spend on a kid party with 200 guests. The party was a beach theme with palm tree balloons and dolphin balloons against a back drop of surf boards sitting upright in the sand. A fish bowl with a live fish was on each table and the table linens were all in sea blues and greens. The people running the party dressed like lifeguards and carried the Bat Mitzvah girl into the event while she sat on a surf board.

It was all dramatic and interesting to watch at first. The first dance was the Hora which deteriorated into kids running as fast as possible around the circle. The adults started stepping back to get out of the way. There was one more dance where everyone had to dance back to back and then the adults had to leave the dance floor.

The party was for the hosts' daughter, so the kids played dancing party games on the dance floor with the "lifeguards" directing them. The adults were excluded and so just sat at their tables. The music was so deafening that conversation was impossible. That meant that the adults could only just sit and watch 13 year old kids running around and shrieking. I know that I'm 51, but I would have liked to play too.

I entertained myself by drinking. If it had been a buffet instead of a sit-down dinner, I would have eaten all evening instead. The next day at the last party, I heard the complaints about the adults being excluded from the fun. I guess I wasn't the only one who felt left out. I do understand the hosts thinking, though. They wanted their daughter to have a great time and for this to be her party, not just some adult event. In a couple of years, the hosts will have to do another party for their son. Where do people get that kind of money?


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 11/05/2007 05:06:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Oy Vey. Pass the seltzer.

 
At 11/05/2007 08:10:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Do all bat mitzvah's go this way? Seems like a strange party where only part of the guests are entertained for such a long period of time.

 
At 11/06/2007 09:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do the jews know how to throw a party, or what? The weddings are even better!

 
At 11/07/2007 12:28:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, a stomach pump would have been nice too.

Lisa, from what I heard, it's usually a more adult oriented affair. Everyone, not just the kids, gets to dance.

Connie, I have been to several Jewish weddings and they are incredible parties. It's great for the guests, but I couldn't imagine spending that kind of money for a party.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home