web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

S.S.D.D.

Nothing especially unusual happened today. It was windy and Malibu was once again on fire. I could see the smoke off in the distance, but it was no threat to me.

I was outside watering my yard when I thought I smelled smoke. I asked Lindsay to come out and give a second opinion. It wasn't my imagination, he smelled it too. I walked all over the yard, up and down the street and even climbed on the roof. I could not see any smoke, other than Malibu. There was no unusual air traffic.

Perhaps the fire had just started and helicopters were on their way. Or maybe the fire was far in the distance and no threat. I was pacing like a trapped wild animal. I needed to leave for work soon and had to make a decision about what to do with the dogs.

Lindsay suggested that someone just had their fireplace going. It was possible, but seemed unlikely given that it was the middle of a sunny, warm day. I hated to do it, but I asked Lindsay if he would stay with the dogs after I left for work until it was safe. He didn't want to do that, but agreed to take my dogs home with him. We had a deal.

The air was getting smoky and the sun was changing color. That's never a good sign. The TV had Malibu fire coverage, but there was no mention of any other fires. Lindsay checked the fire department's web site, but it only mentioned the Malibu fire. Then he called the fire department for information. They said yeah, there was a fire in Agua Dulce, but it was almost out.

With that news, Lindsay was allowed to leave my house without my dogs and I was able to go to work. It's really time for the rainy season to start. This fire threat business is getting old.


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 11/25/2007 02:21:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I think it's time you move out of that dangerous area. I'll meet you halfway:)

 
At 11/26/2007 12:07:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I guess that means Santa Barbara. That's fairly safe except for the dangerous home prices.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home