web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

I Voted



With the election a week away, I still had plenty of time to mail my ballot. This morning while drinking tea and reading the paper, I discovered that the election was today, not next Tuesday. It's not easy going through life ditsy.

It was too late to vote by mail, so plan B was to vote in person. There was just one problem, I threw out the paper with the address of the polling place on it.

Plan C was to get in my car and slowly drive around my neighborhood looking for a sign. It was small and way too discrete, but I found the sign at a local school. Getting out of my car, I followed the signs. It was harder than it sounded because some of the arrow signs were spinning in the wind.

Once I found it, there was a new wrinkle. Their records showed that I was voting by absentee ballot. They took my word for it that I didn't send in my ballot and let me vote in person.

They were surprised to have a Democrat voting. Apparently, my neighbors are Republican. Considering the modest nature of my neighborhood, that took me by surprise. I associate rich people with being Republican. Anyway, I'm glad that I got to vote. I want Hillary to be our next president and Obama to be vice president. If you voted differently, that is an example of one of the great things about this country. We get to vote for our leaders, with the exception of the Bush-Gore election.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 2/06/2008 05:49:00 AM, Blogger Mahala said...

"with the exception of the Bush-Gore election."

High five!

 
At 2/06/2008 06:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa,

The Gore "win" is popular fiction. Some folks hope if something is repeated often enough, it will be truth. But, the real truth of the matter is that Gore would still have lost if his "cherry-picking" recount method (recounts of all ballots in Broward, Miami-Dade, Palm Beach, and Volusia counties) had been approved.

There are other weird scenarios where he could have won - like counting spoiled ballots, but the law is that spoiled ballots don't count.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/florida.ballots/stories/main.html

It's too bad that Gore didn't get his way. It would have settled the so-called "controversy" once and for all. It would have been an interesting case of "be careful what you wish for." :o)

Anyhow, it's time to get past that - it's seven years old.

Maybe there will be another hoo-ha when McCain beats Hillary. :o}

 
At 2/07/2008 09:37:00 AM, Blogger may said...

good for you. i am a new citizen and still totally undecided. i even have to figure out first what exactly is the difference between a democrat and a republican. hopefully, i'll find out in time before the election :)

 
At 2/08/2008 04:08:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

May - Democrats and Republicans both want to control our lives and take our money. They just have different causes.

 
At 2/10/2008 09:10:00 PM, Blogger may said...

alan: wow. that makes it harder to decide then :)

 
At 2/13/2008 12:14:00 AM, Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

yes, Melissa, with the exception, and it still stands.

You really did an amazing job of getting your vote in! Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home