web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Duct Tape Lingerie


If I had known that I was allergic to duct tape, I never would have stuck it to my boobs. The dress I was going to wear was backless and held up my two tiny straps. I didn't have a bra that would work, so I improvised with duct tape and falsies. It worked just fine until it was time to remove the tape. Ouch. Tiny, red itchy bumps everywhere.

Getting ready for the dinner concert took most of the day. I had to darken my roots and lighten my teeth. My hair needed to be curled. The dress was difficult and time consuming to iron. I decided to change the location of the straps to keep them from cutting into the back of my neck. The crinoline needed to be removed so that it would be less fairy princess like.

It didn't occur to me that removing the crinoline would cause the dress to be longer. I tripped on the dress all evening. I also kept stepping out of my shoes. Trying on shoes while wearing heavy sweat socks is never a good idea. I knew that and did it anyway because I didn't feel like removing my socks in the store. Now I understand dress rehearsals. Costume malfunctions can be a problem for anyone.

It is always interesting to me to see what other women wear to formal functions. Most of the women predictably wore elegant black. Usually I wear black too, but I just felt like wearing a real color for a change. Red seemed right for January. I was relieved to see that some others wore bright colors as well. Possibly being the only one in a big red gown had me a bit worried. I had a back-up dress in the car just in case I was over-dressed, but I didn't need it.


I was surprised by some of the dresses. Skin-tight, stretchy, skin-baring dresses look great on the actresses who walk the red carpet, but on pudgy middle-aged lawyers, the effect wasn't quite the same. Sorry if that sounds catty. It's just that I don't understand why people choose to flaunt their figure problems when they could just as easily camouflage them with the right dress and the correct foundation garments, such as duct tape.


~ Home

9 Comments:

At 1/22/2008 06:20:00 AM, Blogger Mahala said...

I love the color of that dress. It suits you :)

 
At 1/22/2008 03:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe they don't think they have figure problems. not everyone likes the skinny flat chested look. you know, the look that causes you to have to wear falsies with duct tape:)

 
At 1/22/2008 05:37:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks, Mahala.

Anon, please don't misunderstand my point. I'm not saying that everyone needs to be skinny. Personally, I would love to have a curvy, feminine body, but I'm not built like that. I'm shaped like a banana and if I gain weight, I look like a bigger banana.

My point is that people, if they want to look their best, should dress in a way that de-emphasizes their flaws and play up what is good. For example, I would have loved to have worn my dress as a strapless dress, but it looked bad that way on me. I had to add straps and still add a shawl to look my best.

I would prefer to limit the styles I wear and look good then wear anything currently in fashion and sometimes look really bad.

 
At 1/23/2008 07:48:00 AM, Blogger may said...

you rocked that dress! and i find it really fascinating that two of your dogs were looking at you with those really interested eyes :)

 
At 1/23/2008 10:43:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Red is definitely your color. Maybe next time you could use a band aid instead of duct tape cause it's designed to stick to the skin, hopefully without irritation.

 
At 1/24/2008 12:53:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

May, my dogs are always very interested in what I am doing at all times. It's like I'm famous or something.

Connie, I'm allergic to band aids too. The reaction isn't as severe, but I still get a rash, unless the band aid is just on my fingers.

By the way, red is a difficult color for me to wear. My skin is ruddy and red makes it look even worse. I wore a lot of make up and the black shawl helped drain some of the color from my face to counteract the red.

 
At 1/25/2008 11:15:00 PM, Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

That really is a beautiful dress and suits your coloring perfectly. But, OUCH! That must have been very miserable!

Thanks for sharing the Beach Boy's Concert with us. I went to see Neal Diamond's last concert in San Diego and it was so great. I think of Sinatra and wonder how people keep their voices so long. Mine is gone gone gone. hehe

 
At 1/26/2008 08:54:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa,

For future info:

http://www.senselingerie.com/p-289-flash-tape.aspx

I wonder if it will work on my heating ducts . . .

 
At 1/27/2008 06:35:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Zippiknits, I once got to hear Frank Sinatra sing near the end of his life. His voice was largely gone, but it was still fun to see a legend in real life.

Does that mean you used to sing?

Bulldog, thanks. I'll keep that in mind for next time. Thanks for the research.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home