web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Wicked

For my Christmas present, in addition to fixing some things around my house, Lindsay took me to see Wicked. That's us in downtown Hollywood, trying to be brave around all of those scary people wandering around. I don't know what those lights are flying around our faces. In real life, they weren't there. Hollywood isn't that far away, but it is an entirely different world.
This is the theater. Outside, a crazy man was yelling at people walking by. He cursed a woman and her baby in front of us. When it was our turn, Lindsay spoke to him politely as we walked as fast as possible. We managed not to get a curse thrown our way. The things one has to put up with around here.

Above, is the ceiling of the Pantages. It was the last shot I took before my camera was confiscated. I wasn't taking pictures of the show, just the inside of the theater while we were waiting for the show to start. I wasn't the only one. All over the theater, I could see the lit viewing screens on cameras and no one was taking their cameras away. I even pointed out the camera of someone sitting a feet away to the person who took my camera and she just turned and walked away. Someone even used a flash a couple of times and someone just came over and asked him not to do that. He got to keep his camera.
I was so angry. If they are going to enforce a rule, they should enforce it against all, not just pick and choose. I tried hard not to let it ruin the show for me, but it did have some effect. The audience was loud, rowdy and laughing. Although, it was a good show, I didn't have as good of a time as everyone else. Sulking is hard work.


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 12/31/2007 10:52:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

I haven't been to downtown Hollywood for a long time, but there were always "colorful" characters around.

I'm guessing the lights are being reflected off of a passing car. Kind of a neat affect anyway.

So how was the show? I checked the official website and it sounds interesting.

Happy New Year to all.

 
At 12/31/2007 11:21:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

no fair... they took your camera!!!!! I would have been sulking too. It does look like a good time however... I love theatre, but we didn't get to go this year yet.
Happy New Year

 
At 12/31/2007 03:38:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I guess it's good that you got your camera back. Sounds like you ended up with the wrong employee at the wrong time.

Looks like you were having fun, though. Was it good?

 
At 1/01/2008 04:37:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan and Lisa, it was a very good show. It's worth seeing if you get the chance.

Happy New Year Madwag!

 
At 1/04/2008 11:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What happened to you at that theater with your camera really upsets me. Like you, I believe that if they are going to have rules for photography within the building, they have to enforce those rules on everyone, not just randomly on whomever they choose. You did not deserve to be treated like that.

 
At 1/05/2008 08:23:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Happy New Year Melissa!

If its any consolation, that ceiling is amazing :o)

 
At 1/05/2008 08:55:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Midnightbunny, thanks for validating my feelings.

Michelle, thanks. Happy New Year to you too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home