web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, December 17, 2007

The Red Dress



I've been invited to a black tie event. The Consumer Attorney Association, formerly known as the Trial Lawyers Association, is having some kind of dinner thing. There will be speeches, awards, dinner and dancing.

We will be dancing to the Beach Boys. I don't mean their recordings, I mean the Beach Boys, live. For me, that's like having the Rolling Stones or Beatles play. It will be interesting to see which ones show up.

Of course, I had to buy a dress. I ordered the dress in the photo and it arrived today. Despite the lace-up ties in the back, I can't get it tight enough that the dress doesn't slip down. That's one of the problems with not having a womanly figure. I solved the problem by sewing straps on my dress. I must not be the only one with that problem. In the package, I found two red strings that I assume were included for that purpose.

The dress is so bare on top that I ordered a black chiffon wrap to wear around my shoulders. It came with a red one, but that is too much red for me. I want to take it down a notch.

The dress is also extremely full. It's beautiful, but I don't want to stand out that much, it looks almost like a hoop skirt. The photo doesn't quite capture how full it is. The crinoline needs to be cut off. It will be easy to do, but kind of sad. It would be more fun to wear a huge billowing skirt.

Because of my height, the dress will be the right length only if I wear flats. That is fine with me. I don't like wearing heels or being over six feet tall. Black ballet flats are on their way. So, other than that, the dress is perfect. I just hope that other women dress up too. It would be awful if everyone decided to wear California casual and I'm there looking like princess want-to-be. Maybe I should keep some jeans and a sweater in the car, just in case.


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 12/18/2007 12:00:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

I used to service computers for the L.A. Trial Lawyers Assoc., who we referred to as LATLA. Are they now known as LACAA? Doesn't have the same ring to it.

 
At 12/18/2007 12:47:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I'm not sure what the acronym is, I just think it's funny that they changed their name to something kinder and fuzzier.

 
At 12/18/2007 02:53:00 PM, Blogger may said...

that dress is gorgeous. even if you are the only one who is dressed up, enjoy the attention :)

 
At 12/19/2007 12:30:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks May, but I really don't like being the center of attention. I just hope that there are others who want to look like a princess for a day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home