web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The Neigborhood Junky


This is one of my Iceland poppy plants. They all look like this. Every single flower gets chopped off before it opens.

If these were opium poppies, it would be understandable, but as far as I know, Iceland poppies do not have any psychotropic effects. Or, maybe that's true for humans, but not for other creatures, like rats or birds.

There is other stuff to eat in my yard, like tomatoes, basil, pomegranates, spinach, Swiss chard, bok choy and beet greens. What is it about the poppy flowers? I can't imagine that they taste good. They smell bitter and awful. I think that some creatures are getting high from my garden. I hope it's not the dogs. With all of the dog chemo expenses, I can't afford rehab too.


~ Home

3 Comments:

At 12/05/2007 03:43:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

We have that problem with deer. They've decimated my plants more than once. We bought a non-toxic spray called "Liquid Fence" that smells really bad and has kept the deer away from the plants I spray.

 
At 12/05/2007 04:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this looks like a deer problem.

 
At 12/16/2007 11:10:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Dave, I'm glad that you found something that works. I had heard that the only way to keep deer from eating your plants is to plant things they don't like.

Karen, deer are definitely not the problem. I've never seen a deer in LA.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home