web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, December 21, 2007

The Line Jumper

Lindsay decided to but himself a new set of sheets and wouldn't you know it, he bought exactly what I had already gotten him for Christmas, even in the same dark blue color. I had to return it to Costco, four days before Christmas. I knew it was going to be hell, but the return line took me by surprise. It was out the door. I was tempted to leave, but I figured the line would be even longer after Christmas.

It was cold and windy. I was wearing my warmest jacket, a knit scarf, Uggs knock-offs and still barely survived the long walk to the front door. Waiting outside in that line with the icy wind blowing up my sleeves, I was wondering how people living in colder regions can stand winter.

Did I mention that I'm having major problems with my hips since I got my tutu? I've been having too much fun playing with it. I can still dance without too much pain, but can barely walk when not dancing. When I was looking for a parking place at Costco, my major thought was finding a spot next to a cart. I needed to use the cart as a walker. Standing in line, painfully leaning on the walker in the cold wind, I was not happy.

Finally, the line moved enough that I was inside the store. The heat lamps on the ceiling felt wonderful. Soon I was toasty warm. My hips still hurt, but at least I was warm. Then I became too warm. Sweat was forming. It felt like it was 90 degrees. I was going to die from heat stroke. I couldn't take my jacket off because my t-shirt was dirty and I wasn't wearing a bra. Once again I was miserable.

After waiting what felt like an eternity, I was second in line when an old lady casually walked to the front of the line. She was cutting in. Had she been younger, I would have politely, but firmly told her where the back of the line was. But she was old. I wasn't sure if the line cutting rules apply to old people. She appeared healthy and was walking better than I was, but who knows what hidden disabilities she might have? I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt and said nothing.

When it was finally my turn, the employee who helped me had also noticed the old woman cutting in the line. She had also been debating whether to make her go to the end of the line, but didn't have the heart to do it. My guess is that everyone waiting in that line was debating what to do. Everyone must have decided to error on the side of kindness. I am wondering, though, if that woman is just taking advantage of people. Maybe she has figured out that she can line jump and no one will challenge her.

Anyway, Lindsay had better not buy himself anymore stuff. People should know not to buy themselves presents right before Christmas.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 12/21/2007 07:51:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

"There is no bad weather...
there is only bad clothing." :)

 
At 12/22/2007 12:51:00 AM, Blogger cotn.co.uk said...

the old bat was taking the mick if you ask me... grrrrrrrrr....

 
At 12/22/2007 03:43:00 PM, Blogger may said...

that sounds like a good thing to me. i mean, you know exactly what his tastes are :)

 
At 12/22/2007 10:39:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Dave, you're sounding like a Scotsman. :)

Cotn.co.uk, I suspect you're right.

May, that is a good point.

 
At 12/22/2007 10:48:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Och, a Swedish saying that is.

 
At 12/23/2007 09:03:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

I'm sure she would play the "old lady card" if someone called her on it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home