web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Twilight Zone

My patient needed some medication that we didn't have on the floor, so I went down to pharmacy to get it. It only took a couple of minutes and I went straight into the patient's room with the med. The patient was gone. His bed was neatly made and all of the equipment was gone. Even if something terrible had happened while I was gone, they couldn't have gotten rid of the body and cleaned up so fast.

I walked out of the room and looked around. All of the nurses and other staff were gone too. The lights were dimmed. It was definitely my unit, 8 W, but it had become the Twilight Zone. Then it hit me, 8 W was closed. The bastards closed it on Christmas due to a low census. Until it reopens, I'm in the float pool. That night, they had me working in 8 E, which is the mirror image of 8 W.

I went into 8 W several times that night. Sometimes by accident and other times to grab stuff that 8 E didn't have. When my unit does reopen, much of our equipment and supplies will be gone because everyone will strip it for parts.

I think it's time to drum up some more business. We need to get a list of the local people who belong to our HMO and go break their legs. We wouldn't have to break that many legs, just a half-dozen or so. That should be enough to get administration to reopen orthopedics.


~ Home

1 Comments:

At 12/31/2007 10:57:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

LOL about breaking legs. Hmm... I do hear stories about HMOs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home