web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Wet And Windy


I don't know what I'm going to do about this. On the bright side, I will have a few years worth of firewood and one less tree to worry about catching on fire. On the dark side, I have a big tree dangling from the patio cover and a badly broken sprinkler pipe. It's always something.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 1/06/2008 05:31:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

were you home when it happened? I guess call a tree surgeon... that is what I would do. my first thought was about trees and fire... one less to worry about.
good luck

 
At 1/06/2008 11:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa,

I can't see what type of tree that is, but if it is softwood - or has needles, it's not a good idea to burn it in a fireplace. The pitch from those types of wood accumulates, and can cause a chimney fire.

 
At 1/06/2008 01:42:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Looks like Seattle's weather has moved far south. I think it's too late for a surgeon. Maybe an out of work lumberjack is in order.

We've burned a few cords of pine trees in our fireplace without incident. The chimney has been professionally cleaned as required.

 
At 1/06/2008 04:43:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Think of all the new shade you have on the back patio. :)

 
At 1/06/2008 05:03:00 PM, Blogger Jack said...

Not to be argumentative . . . just passing on:

The United States Department of Energy website states: "It is not a good idea to burn pine products in your home. Pine products, due to the resin in them, burn very hot, crackle and spit a lot throwing burning particles around, and the pine tar in the combustion products coats the inside of the flue, leading to a potential fire hazard. IN SHORT, do not burn pine wood products in your fireplace or in the open or you are asking for big trouble."

 
At 1/07/2008 01:49:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Madwag, I wasn't home when the tree blew over.

Bulldog, I didn't know that pine trees shouldn't be burned in the fireplace. Thanks for the advice.

Alan, we don't have a lot of lumberjacks down here. Thanks for sending us your weather.

Lisa, it certainly is shady and dark. Just what I need in the winter. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home