web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Water World

Last week I got five and a half inches of rain overnight. Over the weekend there was an additional three inches. So, this is what my yard looks like. I'm glad my house is elevated on a thick concrete slab.

Above is my pond. Water is coming up from below the pond and is pushing the liner above the surface.
More rain is expected. If all of the liner is pushed up, there won't be room for the fish. It would be awful to have to cut holes in the liner in order to push it back to the bottom where it belongs. The whole thing is just bizarre.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 1/28/2008 03:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to share this informative site for nurses:
http://philippinenurse.blogspot.com

 
At 1/28/2008 06:26:00 PM, Blogger Mahala said...

I've been watching the weather reports from there. It's unreal how much rain ya'll have been getting.

 
At 1/29/2008 07:21:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

That's a huge amount of rain even by Seattle standards. I saw news reports of the LA rains on TV last night.

 
At 1/29/2008 05:56:00 PM, Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

I'm far south of you and do not envy you all that rain. I hope you can save your fish. Will a pump working at the edge of the pond bail it out- insert the draw under the edge of the liner there- sufficiently to keep from having to puncture the liner?

One year we had flooding at the bottom of the street, and it floated a back yard pool up out of it's hole. That was a cement one.

 
At 1/30/2008 09:49:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's alot of water - perhaps you could grow rice or cranberries? I hope the rain lets up soon.

 
At 1/30/2008 01:40:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Mahala, I didn't know that our rain made the national news. It must have been a slow news day.

Alan, I was thinking that it felt like Seattle. It was fun getting the rain, but I need more sunshine to feel right.

Zippiknits, the crisis seems to be over. In my neighborhood, pools have been known to pop up out of the ground when they are emptied. Since I live on a hill, I've never understood this.

Connie, I have some boggy areas in my yard where I have tried growing cranberries, but they couldn't survive the summer. Rice is a great idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home