web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

A Brush With The Law

I was inside my house and walked out the front door to pay some day laborers who had done some chores for me. A Sheriff's car was idling in front of my house. I didn't give it a second thought and directed my attention to giving a check to the workers. With my peripheral vision, I detected sudden movement. Looking back at the Sheriff's deputy, I saw him jump out of his car and stand hunched over behind the car door. He was clearly alarmed over something. Over what, I couldn't imagine.

Then, he yelled out, "Do you live here?"

I yelled back, "Yes."

He yelled back, "Did you hire those guys to do some work for you?"

I responded, "Yes, I had them move some firewood for me. "

At this point, I thought I understood what the problem was. The workers, in his eyes, clearly could not live in my neighborhood. This is an affluent area and two El Salvadorians in plaid shirts and an old pick up truck stood out. They could be doing some work for a homeowner or they could be burglars. He wanted to make sure which.

What the officer said next floored me. He yelled, "Bring me some proof that you live here."

Obviously, the officer didn't believe that I looked like I could live in my neighborhood either. Granted, I didn't look my best. I had been working on the pond in the drizzle and my old, ragged, mismatched sweats were covered in mud. I had last combed my hair the day before. But still, under all the dirt and rags, I was still blond and middle aged. I thought that I fit the demographics even though I was dirty.

I thought about the events that led to the beer summit, that is, the black college professor who was doubted my a police officer to be the owner of his home and ended up arrested when the situation escalated. Although my feelings were hurt, I was going to remain polite, calm and reasonably friendly.

I yelled out that I was going to go in the house and come right back. Although it was annoying to have to produce papers when I had done nothing wrong, it was easy enough to show a driver's license. Then I suddenly remembered. My driver's license had my old address on it. Walking in my house, I was wondering how I was going to prove that I lived here. I did a quick search of the tabletops and found some escrow instructions with my name and current address.

I walked over to the deputy, who was no longer crouched behind his car. Back up had arrived while I was inside the house and I guess he was feeling more comfortable. I handed him my papers while the second set of officers watched me. He took the papers and sat in his car and copied the information. When he was done, he handed them back to me and explained that a neighbor had called the police because they saw suspicious men walking around my house.

Forcing a smile, I thanked him, thanked the day laborers and walked back in the house. Everyone drove off. Thank goodness the officer didn't question the workers about their immigration status. I will never be able to run for public office.


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 10/05/2010 12:49:00 PM, Blogger Jack said...

That reminds me of a time when our phone lines were out of service in Overland Park, Kansas. Our daughter tried for hours to contact us, and when she could not, she called the police.

I was awakened at midnight by two very polite policement who asked me who I was, then asked for proof of identity. I guess the thought was that I could be holding the "real" tenant in a back room.

It was a little unnerving, but I appreciated their professional attitude and their willingness to take a call like this.

No crouches behind cars were evident, no weapons were drawn.

 
At 6/22/2011 04:22:00 PM, Blogger -blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

Whoa. You're just the person I'd fall for. I bet you're tall, I betcha you're thin, you're quite gorgeous. You're a doll I'd set on a high shelf and looove to honor. I'd also love to kiss your adorable feet in Heaven. HintHint. NudgeNudge. PokePoke. Heaven would be truly incomplete without YOU. Tell ya what I'd do Upstairs for the length and breadth of eternity --- We'll have a BIG-ol, Wahoo!, party-hardy for eons and eons fulla anything and everything and more; I have some pretty nifty things we may do in Heaven, too. Besides being the most gorgeous thang God ever made, wanna nekk in Heaven on a park bench? …or anywhere? Wanna lemme serve you for eons and eons? Wanna lemme hold you as we watch the BEST fireworks Heaven has to offer as we ride-on the BEST roller-coaster? Wanna lemme feed you baklava and a lot-better-than-Starbucks ice cream and those teeny, canned oranges for the length of eternity? Wanna swim nude in the ocean as shallow as four feet and then take a shower? Wanna be one with me for THREE, WHOLE, MONTHS or more? Wanna be an adorable 17 forever, me a dashing 21? Wanna love so deep and wide, passionate and warm the universe cannot hold our? Wanna lemme be a part of you till even Heaven crashes around us? Wanna lemme snuggle with you, to love you and gratify your wonderful, beautiful, adorable feet? Wanna lemme prove to you I love you more-than-you-know, from head2toe, bodyNsoul, to give you pleasure-beyond-measure? Meet me in Heaven, girly, and I'll do alla that and more for you for the length and breadth of eternity --- How awesome it shall be to love you in person, to be with you, to hold you in my arms and give you a backrub in the Great Beyond; to kiss your adorable body and nuzzle with you, would make my eternity. God bless you --- PS This blog, 1-outta-11, is how I wish to love you and gratify you in Heaven. Meet me Upstairs, sweetheart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home