web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, October 02, 2010

Koi Moving Day


I finally got my house rented, but the family I chose has a two year old kid. Not wanting to risk drowning a kid, that created an urgency to finish the pond at my new house, so I could move the koi and drain the old pond.
The last pond, I dug myself. It took two months. Not having two months or the desire to do anything like that ever again, I hired someone to dig it for me. It took two guys one day. It is about 10 by 12 feet and 4 feet deep. There is a shelf all the way around so that if dogs fall in, they can climb out.

I bought 3,300 pounds of ledger stones and went to work. I moved each rock several times until I was satisfied with the placement and then cemented it in. It was a long miserable weekend and then I ran out of rock. I filled up the pond anyway. Enough of the sides are done that the fish have room to swim around. I just need to finish edging the top row or two.

I treated the water and then waited a few days for the water to warm up. Then, the much dreaded fish moving day arrived. I got large plastic containers and lined them with kitchen trash bags. I put them in the car and drove to my old house. With a bucket, I filled the bags with pond water. Next, I climbed into the pond and started fishing.

Koi are hard to catch. They are surprisingly intelligent, fast and slippery. The pond was completely green with zero visibility. The only tool I had was a lace tablecloth. Fortunately, it was a hot day because I spent 2 hours in the pond trying to catch the fish by feel. I caught Sunny first, then Sosamma. It was Judy who challenged me the most. Worried about the the two fish waiting in the hot car, I finally had to leave and take them home. For the most part, they were good in the car, there was a just an occasional splash from Sunny. I didn't have time to acclimate them to the new pond. I just slid them in and they were fine.

It is an hour round trip between the two houses and I knew fishing was going to take some time, so I had to get going before rush hour started. This time, I brought a pump with me and started draining the old pond. With fewer hiding places as the water level dropped, I caught Judy.

Judy is a fighter. She thrashed for most of the ride home. Two minutes from home, she became quiet. When we got home, I was horrified to see that her bag was filled with bloody water. She was completely still. I poked her with my finger and she was unresponsive. Heartbroken that I had killed her, I decided to put her into the pond anyway. She lay on her side for a few seconds and then suddenly woke up. She swam away and joined her friends.

It has been several days and the fish are all fine. Now, I just need to buy more rock and finish what I started.


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 11/16/2010 01:44:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Yay for the fish!

 
At 1/28/2012 11:29:00 AM, Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

M, I wish you were still blogging. I realize why you may not be, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home