web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Exoskeleton Cake

Company was due in about an hour. I wanted to get a spice cake into the oven before they arrived. I had just finished beating the butter, sugar and eggs. It was time to add flour, but opening the bag, I was dismayed to discover that the flour was covered with hollow insect shells. I didn't have any other bags of flour lying around and the clock was ticking. I couldn't possibly get to the store and back in time and I needed dessert.

So, what did I do? I scraped off the first couple of inches of flour and used the flour near the bottom of the bag. Most of the exoskeletons were removed, but I can't be sure if I got them all. I figured it was harmless to eat, we probably get stuff like that in our food all of the time and I was going to eat it too, so it was okay to serve it.

This event is not unprecedented. I once made some soup with dried vegetables that when rehydrated, little rehydrated worms appeared also. Company was coming soon and there wasn't time to make something else. So, I skimmed out the worms and serve the soup. I ate it too.

Now that everyone knows what I'm capable of, I'll probably have no more guests for dinner. (I think that I would do okay on Survivor, though.)


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 9/26/2005 08:05:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

We will be eating at my house from now on.

 
At 9/26/2005 08:43:00 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Oh man, gonna hurl. I keep thinking that I really wouldn't want to know that.

 
At 9/26/2005 10:35:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Sarah, I wouldn't do that to you. If you were coming over for dinner, I would just say we're going out instead, if I ran into a problem like that. (If you don't trust me now, you can watch me cook anything that I feed you. :) )

Brandy, I really wasn't happy about eating insects or worm juice. But I figure if I serve it to my guests, then I have to eat it too. (I have leftover cake, but I'm going to throw it away. )

 
At 9/26/2005 11:05:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Lolololololololol!
Just justify your actions with the fact that in Thailand, insects are common menu items!

 
At 9/27/2005 09:21:00 AM, Blogger Mary said...

If you just sift the flour before you use it, you'd get the exoskeletons all crunched up into the flour. Extra fiber! Mmmmm.

;)

However, rehydrated-worm soup is just gross.

 
At 9/27/2005 10:52:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lisa, Karen and Mary, I still have the spice cake. Would you like to come over and visit? :)

 
At 9/27/2005 11:39:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I hate to break this to you guys but in a large bakery setting it's not uncommon to just sift the flour and use it. Yes, I have seen it done. You are generally safe in a nice restaurant that has an on site pastry chef. Melissa haven't you noticed I am a little finicky about what I eat in restaurants?

 
At 9/27/2005 01:05:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I have noticed, but then so am I. My concern is with ordering the thing that is least likely to give me food poisoning. I really wasn't thinking about insects.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home