web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Kindergarten Rewards


A new bulletin board mysteriously appeared at work. No one has said anything about it, but it can't be good. My guess is that they expect us to write notes of appreciation to our coworkers and post it on the board. Or maybe management will write the notes. Either way, I don't like the looks of this.

There is a problem with staff feeling unappreciated, so management comes up with these ideas that come straight out of kindergarten. The previous board was a tree trunk to which we were supposed to attach green paper leaves on which we wrote nice notes to our coworkers.

I really don't care for seeing my name and maybe picture on a board with the equivalent of a gold star next to it. It feels demeaning. I'm not five years old.

I would be happy with someone just telling me that I'm doing a good job. Just please, skip the gold stars.


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 9/24/2005 12:35:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

I wouldn't mind if my employer gave me a gold star. As long as it was on a big check. :)

 
At 9/24/2005 12:42:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Yeah, money I can relate to. Small gifts, like diamonds, would be nice too. Is that too much to ask? :)

 
At 9/24/2005 08:58:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Middle managers have to think up something to do in those meetings they sit in all day long while they avoid any real work. I agree with dk, big checks with gold stars on them!

 
At 9/24/2005 11:40:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

It never continues to amaze me the things that they come up with. They expect us to sit down and talk to each patient for 5 minutes at the beginning of the shift, later give each patient a back rub and then offer them ice cream. Even the Hilton doesn't do these things. I think that they should have fewer meetings and do these things for us if they think they're so important. It's time for them to get their hands dirty.

 
At 9/26/2005 09:00:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Considering what hospitals charge for aspirin, I'm betting the back-rubs will show up on their bill at $400/hr.

Have a pretty nurse give you a back rub? People will be breaking their own legs to get in the hospital. ;)

 
At 9/26/2005 11:01:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

It's gotten to the point where I'm practically refusing to do back rubs on men because they enjoy it way too much. If I absolutely have to do it, I'll try and get another nurse to help, so that I'm not alone with the man.

Listening to their moans and sexual innuendos when I'm just trying to do my job is too much. It makes me feel like a whore. My employer pays pretty well, but they don't pay me that much. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home