web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Heroin And Other Stuff

A heroin addict has been our guest for about a week. The funny thing is, he's terrified of needles. He needs an antibiotic shot everyday and beforehand he has to be premedicated with morphine. For someone who is covered with morphine tracks, his fear is most unusual. What's especially strange is that the morphine is administered by injection. So, he wants a shot before his shot. *gasp* You don't suppose he's drug seeking do you?

Another patient came in for a broken arm and now his digestive tract has stopped working. For unknown reasons, peristalsis has just come to a grinding halt. We now have a tube going down his nose and into his stomach so that we can suction the juices that collect and can go no further down the digestive tract. Without the tube, he can't stop vomiting. But now, the juices that we're suctioning up look and smell like poop. When poop backs up into the stomach, that's really bad. At least he's not vomiting the poop. When that happens, I want to vomit too.

Lastly, the patient with the dirty, girly bits has a bladder that exceeds the capacity of our bedpans. The result is that evertime she pees, we have a flood. Ever try changing the linens for a bedbound, morbidly obese, smelly patient with a new hip? I got the pleasure several times.

So, how was everyone else's evening? See any good shows on TV?


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 9/28/2005 03:03:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Geeez, makes my day look boring!
I was watching a medical documentary on kids and diet. It was filmed in the UK and the doctors were talking aout the influx of children aged around 8 or 9 that don't eat enough fruit and veggies and how their system backs up and they vomit pooh.......was enough for my daughter to eat her daily fruit and veggies!!

 
At 9/28/2005 05:28:00 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

You could keep bulimics in business. If they can't vomit, just read.

Yikes, Saint Melissa!

 
At 9/28/2005 11:17:00 AM, Blogger Mary said...

I'm going to need one of those vomit-trays next to my computer soon. Can you send me one from the hospital, Melissa?

;)

 
At 9/28/2005 12:09:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I have all of the emesis basins anyone wants. I'll even give each person a piece of spice cake. :(

 
At 9/28/2005 11:12:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Have I mentioned that I do not envy you for your job?! ;-)

 
At 9/29/2005 12:48:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

You don't? ;)

 
At 9/29/2005 07:09:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I say cath her and let her take care of her own hygiene. If she didn't bother to bathe before she was admitted, why should you have to do it. The bedpan won't overflow and she can sit her lazy ass on a shower chair and while she washes. Do you know how much harmful bacteria is growing in those nasty dark warm moist skin folds? You should not be exposed to that. If she chooses not to wash, she can leave the way she came in, smelly and colonized. She's lucky she got her surgery, if I was working pre-op, she would have gone throught the hazmat shower before she got in!

 
At 9/29/2005 09:40:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

They won't let us catheterize patients unless they are unable to void on their own. I really wish that they would let me bring in a garden hose to take care of patients like her. I'm sure that the organisms growing in the folds of flesh is largely responsible for the smell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home