web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, September 26, 2005

Lump in the Road


I was stopped at this intersection waiting for the light to change. That's my hospital in the background and that's a liquor store on the corner. A big firetruck pulled into the intersection and stopped. Doors opened and firefighters hopped out. Casually, they walked over to a lump lying in the gutter next to the liquor store. It was a person. I hadn't noticed him lying there.

One of the men nudged him with his toe and then his gloved hand. Then they grabbed him, lifted him up and tried to get him to walk on rubbery legs. He appeared to be fine, just drunk. The light turned green and I left. I wonder which hospital they took him to?


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 9/26/2005 07:15:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

You sound as though this could be a normal occurence on any given day!

 
At 9/26/2005 07:22:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

It is, more or less. I work in a bad neighborhood

 
At 9/27/2005 11:31:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Is "drunk" now an admitting diagnosis?

 
At 9/27/2005 01:02:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

The official diagnosis is ETOH. Whether they like it or not, we dry them out and put up with the DT's just so that they can go out and drink some more. I don't know why we bother unless the person actually wants help.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home