web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

DROP IT! NOW!


Walking by a patient's room, I noticed that he was cutting through his IV line with a dinner knife. Calmly, I asked him to stop. He looked at me and started sawing faster. One of his lines was a central line, meaning that the line snaked through his veins to his heart. Cutting that line would not be a good thing to do.

When reasoning failed, I yelled at the top of my lungs, "Drop it ! Now! I approached him and he pointed the knife at me and threatened to stab me. I left the room to gather some supplies and asked a coworker to come help me.

We came back into the room and stood on opposite sides of the bed. Suddenly, I lunged at him. I had his knife hand in both of mine. My coworker grabbed his free hand. After some struggling, I was able to squeeze the knife out of his hand. As soon as I had the knife, I violently threw it across the room. I'm not sure why I did that, but it felt good.

We began tying him up. It wasn't easy. He was a fighter and broke the first set of restraints. Someone ran to another unit to borrow another set while we held him down. Of course, in the end we won. We always do.

He was calling us and especially me, every nasty name he could think of. Even though he was not in his right mind, it still bothers me when I'm called those kind of names. I don't know how psyche nurses can stand that on a daily basis.

Then he started yelling as loud as he could, for someone to call the police. He was also shrieking things like, "there is a blonde bitch in her with murder in her eyes and she's going to kill me." He was probably right about the look in my eyes, but wrong that I was going to kill him. I only wanted to kill him. Everyone on the floor had to listen to him screaming for help for about 15 minutes until the "cocktail"I slipped into his IV line took effect. After that, he was no trouble at all.


~ Home

11 Comments:

At 10/12/2005 01:26:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

No back rubs for him, eh? Glad you're all right. (And make sure you don't hurt your "blogging" hand! :)

 
At 10/12/2005 02:17:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

No back rubs for any of my patients, actually, even the good ones. :)

If I had thought that the situation was dangerous, I would have called security. I was sure that I could "take him."

All I need to blog are my two index fingers, or one, if a dog needs petting. I can type fast with one finger. :)

 
At 10/12/2005 11:47:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

LOL, and here i am drowning in my own sorrows because i am surrounded by loons day in day out!
All is forgiven!

 
At 10/13/2005 12:42:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

At least I can drug my loons. My guess is that you're not allowed to do that. :)

 
At 10/13/2005 09:20:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Sometimes it's necessary to drug "loons" out of the hospital setting.
Let's say for example if you are having a large seder dinner and one of your guests...like your mother in law (for arguements sake) is coming. OK so lets say this person is at times so arrogant and obnoxious that she could possibly ruin the dinner for everyone else. What if you accidentally dropped an ativan in her drink?(the one you hand her every time she walks in your front door). Would that really be so bad? And what if it actually worked and she became almost human and seemed to have a good time, wouldn't that be like doing a good deed? OK, so I am going to hell, but that's not why.

 
At 10/13/2005 11:36:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Did you have your seder dinner during the Yom Kippur fast? Forget drugging your mother-in-law (we understand that and I'm sure God does too), but won't you go to Hell for feasting during the fast? :)

 
At 10/13/2005 02:58:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

My wife just came home from the market with rainbow marzipan cookies. mmmmmm.... I used to get them at Solly's in Woodland Hills, but he sold the deli and we moved, and I can't find them in Marin County. Once in a blue moon I'd order some over the Internet, but I guess for the holidays Albertson's is carrying them. mmmm.....

Funny how the stuff you loved as a child never leaves you.

 
At 10/13/2005 06:23:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Well, this was the dinner before the fast. I started cooking, actually baking in the early am, and I worked straight through til about 7 pm, so I think that should count for something. Also a couple of people who were coming had to work and couldn't get there til 7 so it we had to wait for them. Today I ate delicious apple raisin cinnamon walnut swirl bread made with the extra challah dough. Why should I fast, I am going to hell anyway. Tonight the dogs are having the leftover chicken and salmon for dinner, maybe I can get into doggie heaven.
dk, I could walk to Solley's from my house, I prefer the chocolate dipped lace florentines and the chocolate rugelach.

 
At 10/13/2005 11:37:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

That's too funny! I've never tried the Florentines, but their rugelach was great. And their sandwiches and pickles. I miss them.

I used to live on Berdon near Shoup, about a mile from there. My sister-in-law used to live at Collins and Topanga, my friend Candy sold candy at the theater that used to be behind Solley's, and my cousin Jill Geffen and her husband Hagai and their family live not far from there. Small world.

 
At 10/13/2005 11:57:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I live near the one in Studio City, I used to live near the one in the west valley but I'm sure their pickles and rugelach are yummy too.

 
At 10/14/2005 12:49:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Did someone say marzipan? I love marzipan. I usually go to the World Market to buy all different types of marzipan.

I've never tried the rainbow cookie type. Let's see, where is there an Albertson's around her?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home