web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Fear Of Buttons

In order to get inside the parking lot at work, it is necessary to hit a button and take a ticket. This afternoon, I was stuck behind a young man who just sat there in his idling car. Sometimes that happens with older folks, but this guy was too young not to understand the concept. Just about the time that I was ready to get out of my car and help him, he reached out his window with a piece of paper. With the paper he hit the button and pulled out a ticket. The gate lifted and he drove in. Poor guy. My guess is that he has OCD or phobia problem and was afraid of the germs on the button. I bet that he's not a nurse. He would get over that germ fear really fast if he had to face his fears on a daily basis. Either that, or he would run screaming from the building, never to return.

I'm not making fun of him. I have my own issues when it comes to irrational fears. We all have our challenges. I have a patient right now who is facing the challenge of going through life without legs, no vision and non-functioning kidneys (diabetes is not easy to die from). And other people face the challenge of going through life facing the terror of having to press a button. Does anyone find life to be easy?


~ Home

5 Comments:

At 10/22/2005 11:26:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

My teacher in microbiology seemed to have a similar problem. She walked around holding her hands in that position up in front of you like you just scrubbed for surgery and are looking for the sterile gloves. She NEVER touched her face or hair with her fingers, she always wiped it with the back of her hand very carefully. Maybe he was a microbiologst.

 
At 10/22/2005 11:40:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Was it only during the labs that she did that or did she go about her normal day with her hands in the air? I guess it takes a special, or stupid, kind of person to be a nurse and deal with flying bodily fluids. Everyone I know has gotten urine and blood sprayed on their face.

 
At 10/23/2005 12:26:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I think life was/is meant to be full of fears.....makes life interesting.

 
At 10/23/2005 11:29:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle,I guess that some fear is good, it keeps us from doing too stupid of things and getting killed. And I do rather enjoy the adrenaline rush of safe scary things, like roller coasters, but some people's fears can make their lives a living Hell. I guess like most things, fear is good in moderation.

Lisa, as a salesman, he must have had to do a lot of hand shaking, poor guy.

 
At 10/29/2005 10:55:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Hey wait a minute! I don't want to touch buttons or door handles or stair handrails or salt and pepper on restaurant tables and...oops...never mind, I need to go take my meds now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home