web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Fashion Victim



Sarah and I had another one of our "ladies who lunch" days. It's really cold and wet for this time of the year. It's strange to be wearing jackets and knit scarves. Chinese chicken salads and cold drinks were probably not the best food choice today. We were freezing after lunch.

Of course after lunch, we had to do some shopping. We walked through the mall and came across a woman wearing tight shorts with, what it appeared to be, 4 inch heels. (Sorry about the blurry picture, I was trying to be discreet and turned off the flash.) A big umbrella completed
her outfit.


She was younger, taller, thinner and more glamorous than us, but I think that we were a tad more comfortable in our sloppy clothes and comfortable shoes. I doubt that I could even stand in those shoes, much less walk around a mall.

I no longer keep current with the latest fashions. I'm not sure if she is just a victim to the latest fashion or if she was being creative in coming up with her outfit. Has anyone else seen women walking around with shorts and high heels?


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 10/18/2005 10:49:00 PM, Blogger Mary said...

LOL at "A big umbrella completed her outfit"! That's So Cal!

Can you believe this rain? Sheesh.

Anyway, yes, my youngest sister wears shorts with heels sometimes. Somehow she gets away with it. I mean, nobody bats an eye. Maybe it's the fact that she's a string bean and all legs. If I tried that, well, just nevermind... I wouldn't try that!

Btw, my sister's name is Sarah! LOL

Lovely pic of you ladies in your pink and mulberry-colored warmies.

 
At 10/18/2005 11:36:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

When I was commuting to work earlier in the year, I saw those shoes a lot. Black patent leather, tall spike heals, a sharp pointy toe. Not all of them accompanied by a short skirt or short pants, but the shoes were definitely popular, even by those who took the subway and walked to work. Makes me glad to be a man. :)

 
At 10/18/2005 11:40:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

Just looking at those shoes makes my feet hurt! ;-)

 
At 10/19/2005 08:50:00 AM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

OK, I never wear heels.

Then again, I'm not much of a shorts person unless I have to.

So, I guess it is lost on me.

 
At 10/19/2005 10:35:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Mary, I love the rain, but not the cold. I want to be warm again.

Like your sister, the girl in the high heels looked great. In fact, she looked like a model, but at what price. One of the advantages of getting older is that comfort is much more important to me than looking good. (You remembered the mulberry jacket.) :)

Dave, commuting is a pain, but you must miss some of the sights and experiences, such as seeing pretty women in heels. (As glad as you are to be a man, I feel that way about being a woman and having the freedom to wear tennis shoes.) :)

Karen, looking at her in those shoes made my whole body ache.

Brandy,the summer uniform among my people in the Santa Clarita Valley is shorts,T-shirts and sandals. Some people wear that year round, plus a sweat shirt on cold days. I saw several people at the mall dressed that way, but I'm so used to it that it didn't seem worthy of comment. Heels and dressy clothes are most unusual here.

 
At 10/19/2005 09:14:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I love those shoes! Infact, when i was younger i used to wear shoes like that all the time. My god, is my back paying the price now though.

 
At 10/19/2005 11:04:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I'm so tall that the last thing I ever wanted to do was wear high heels. I don't like being over 6 feet tall. I've done plenty of other horrible things, though, in the name of beauty. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home