web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Don't Be Late

It was raining hard on the way to work. This was my view of the freeway. The charge nurse didn't allow enough time for driving under these conditions so she was late. I had no choice but to make the patient assignments. I gave her a much heavier load than she was accustomed to, which provided me with plenty of amusement watching her run around in circles. I could justify my actions by saying that I want her to stay in practice and not lose her nursing skills, but really, I'm just evil. I bet she's never late again.





Have I ever mentioned that I'm clumsy? Tonight I dropped a bowl of tomato soup on the carpet. I bet the stain never comes out. My shoes and pant legs also got splattered.





Tonight, an elderly patient needed his diaper changed. As I started to remove it, he slapped my hand and said, "No, don't pull my pants down." I called for reinforcements and we got him changed. Afterwards, he held my hand, looked into my eyes and said, "Why did you roll me over and do that to me?" I guess that he forgave me, though, later he told the aide to tell that blonde nurse that he owes me two payments. ( No, I don't know what that means.)

I also had to help a man in the bathroom. He was so big that his hands could no longer reach his bottom. I had to do the wiping for him. That is a common problem. I wonder what they do at home? A lot of people with that problem live alone.


~ Home

3 Comments:

At 10/18/2005 10:19:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Mortician school is looking really good right now...

 
At 10/19/2005 09:16:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Just once, can you put a *warning* sign on these types of posts LOL

 
At 10/19/2005 11:22:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

You thought that was bad? That was nothing. :)

I'm saddened to report that the elderly patient who didn't want his pants pulled down, passed away. He was quite a proper gentleman. Despite being confused, he knew that some things just weren't done. I don't mind that he slapped my hand. I preferred that to patients who seem to think that nurses are whores.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home