web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Terminally Cleaned Room

We had just discharged a patient who had MRSA, VRE and C Dif. All of these are highly infectious organisms, two of which are virtually incurable. The housekeeper was told to terminally clean the room, a term that none us had ever heard before.

Curious, I sat outside the room and watched it being cleaned. It looked like a routine cleaning to me. As usual, the telephone, TV remote and call light were not cleaned. What was different was that the linens were dumped in the trash.

What's odd is this patient had been here for several weeks with her raging infections and every time her sheets were changed, they were put in with the rest of the dirty laundry. That's our policy. We're not in the habit of burning or burying dirty sheets. So, who's crazy here? Why do we put dirty sheets in the laundry when the patient is still here, but throw them out once the patient is discharged?

The grossest part for me was when I had to give her my pen to sign her discharge papers. When she handed it back to me, it was covered with tiny bits of flaky, dry skin from her whole body rash. I washed my pen, but it still feels dirty. And now my hands feel dirty and everything my hands have touched feel dirty and...Is this how OCD starts?

The next occupant of the room was a doctor who, of course, had to have a private room. If he only knew.

This is a lesson to everyone. Don't ever request a private room in a hospital. They are usually used for isolation patients and the room cleaning between patients is less than ideal. Request a ward. That's where the clean patients are kept.


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 10/26/2005 01:56:00 AM, Blogger Tati said...

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind!

What is OCD?

 
At 10/26/2005 09:19:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. AKA, anal retentive. :)

And, may I just add... ew, ew, ew!

 
At 10/26/2005 11:11:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

It's perfectly safe to be in a hospital as long as you don't touch anything or breathe the air.

 
At 10/26/2005 11:56:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

eeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
I find it bizarre they go to all trouble and don't clean the phone or light???

 
At 10/27/2005 11:08:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Doesn't make any sense does it? No wonder infections are spreading like wildfire.

 
At 10/29/2005 10:37:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I guess I will just perform my own surgery at home. Thanks for reminding me once again why I no longer work in the hospiital.

 
At 10/29/2005 12:49:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Do you think that you could replace my hip for me?

 
At 10/30/2005 10:54:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Well the mechanics aren't the problem, we need a negative air flow room to prevent infection:(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home