web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, December 26, 2005

My Festive Christmas

So this was Christmas. I guess that there are worse things than working in a hospital on Christmas, such as being a patient on Christmas. Although we did have one patient who said with a big smile on her face, "I got a hysterectomy for Christmas and it's the best present I ever got." I'll have to take her word for it. My uterus and I are quite happy together.



This patient had his trapeze decorated for Christmas with Christmas lights. It's nice to see people make the best of a bad situation. The lights violated all kinds of hospital rules, so I just pretended not to notice.


As per our union contract, we got fed Christmas dinner. It was a choice of what they called prime rib, Cornish game hens or manicotti. After one of the nurses called the hens abortion chicken, I went with the cow, because the hens looked like fetuses in sauce. Pasta was out of the question after Thanksgiving's pasta fiasco.

Of course the food was bad, but that was okay. After yesterday's binging, it was nice to just sort of pick at something.

And the really good news is that no one coded tonight, because the defibrillator on our crash cart is broken. It being Christmas, there was no one available to fix it. Hopefully, patients will wait until after the holidays to go into cardiac arrest.


~ Home

3 Comments:

At 12/26/2005 11:05:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

OMG, how funny, xmas lights on the bed! Yaaay for you for turning a blind eye!

 
At 12/27/2005 12:02:00 AM, Blogger Tati said...

That Christmas dinner looks - well - hmmmmm.....

;-)

 
At 12/27/2005 12:58:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, I figure so what if he gets electricuted. The pretty lights are worth it. :)

Karen, you are much too kind. Dinner looked like what I find in bedpans. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home