web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Saint Sarah


My friend Sarah is fostering a Golden Retriever who was abandoned and found in a state of near starvation. Kerry Bear has a serious seizure disorder, perhaps brought on by starvation, and his life expectancy is maybe a week. Sarah is providing hospice care so that Kerry can spend what time he has left surrounded by love and nurturing.

Sarah, like many of us, is having a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit, but it appears to me that she represents the true spirit of Christmas. Giving hospice care to a poor, abandoned creature is a noble act for which Sarah deserves Sainthood. Shouldn't Christmas be about acts of compassion and kindness, rather than gifts, parties and decorations?


~ Home

6 Comments:

At 12/14/2005 01:08:00 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Melissa, it should. And with enough people doing good things, I think it will get that way.

 
At 12/14/2005 10:45:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

This post almost made me cry. How can anyone abandon a dog?

I think what Sarah is doing is wonderful!

 
At 12/15/2005 04:31:00 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Merry Christmas, Sarah and Kerry Bear. ♥

 
At 12/16/2005 03:37:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Yaaaaay Sarah! Adopting an animal really is within the christmas spirit :)

 
At 12/19/2005 10:02:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks. I didn't really mean to adopt him though. I couldn't really adopt another dog (some stupid law about not having more than 30 dogs or something) but, I could do the most good by volunteering to foster them until they find permanent homes. There is a shortage of foster homes for Goldens because people buy them for backyard breeding and dump them when they get too old. It's harder to find adoptive homes for older dogs, but really, they are already trained and don't dig or chew so they're perfect!
So I got this sweet little guy but he is too unstable to adopt out so I am managing his care and when the time comes he will go to sleep here surrounded by people and doggies who love him.
There are lots of sweet doggies that need homes, and there are links you can sign up at the website so a part of the proceeds of your purchases from various shops & grocery stores etc... can go to rescue @ http://www.grcgla.homestead.com/
Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah!!

 
At 1/20/2006 10:48:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Kerry Bear had 6 weeks with us before he went to join Baby. Most of his time was spent smothered in love and affection, he only had a few bad days. I miss him and think of him often, as I do my sweet Baby. I hope they are together, somewhere in peace, knowing how much they were, and are still loved.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home